Staples, Stitches & Sutures..OH MY!...How do you choose?

MissMyHair

For those of you that have already gone through the process, which one is a more comfortable procedure?

I'm making a decision from 2 very reputable HT doctors. One Dr. uses staples & the other uses the stitch method to close the donor area.

I'm NOT sure which route to choose for myself. My main concern is my surgery will be done out of state & for that reason, if I choose the staples, who will pull them out of my scalp when I get home after the surgery?

Also, I want to choose the method that provides the LEAST detectable scar. I have enough hair to cover the scar BUT in the interim, I don't want a scar that I can see for myself!

Thanks again guys for your help & if you have pics, please feel free to post.

MissMyHair.

For those of you that have already gone through the process, which one is a more comfortable procedure?

I'm making a decision from 2 very reputable HT doctors. One Dr. uses staples & the other uses the stitch method to close the donor area.

I'm NOT sure which route to choose for myself. My main concern is my surgery will be done out of state & for that reason, if I choose the staples, who will pull them out of my scalp when I get home after the surgery?

Also, I want to choose the method that provides the LEAST detectable scar. I have enough hair to cover the scar BUT in the interim, I don't want a scar that I can see for myself!

Thanks again guys for your help & if you have pics, please feel free to post.

MissMyHair.

I also just had a HT out of state in Florida. Dr. Charles who did my HT uses stitches. I am only two weeks post op and my scar is very hard to see my scar even if you pull my hair up in back. I was also concerned about who was going to remove the sutures. I have a dermatologist who I have seen and i discussed my HT with him. he agreed to remove the sutures.

MissMy..

i had both internal sutures as well as external staples...with a megasession, its not a bad idea....each doctor will have their own preference...ive always found staples to be easier and less painful, but everyone is different...

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

I would like to try staples next, as the first HT i used sutures, and experienced stretching on the 2 ends of the scar. I think staples may alleviate this.

Cas

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

I received stitches. I cannot say that they caused me any discomfort other than a mild occasional itch. My scar is a thin red line at approximately 7 weeks post-op. I have heard that staples hurt, but I cannot say for sure as I have not had them. I think everyone's pain tolerance is very different. It is my belief that if the physician is reputable enough to perform a satisfactory hair transplant, then he/she should be competent enough not to skimp on the stitching/stapling of the donor area.

In essence, I say that you should go with whatever you think you are comfortable with, but I don't think this should be a very large cause for concern as long as you are comfortable with your chosen physician's skill level.

----------------------------------

-Robert

As forum moderator and a Patient Advocate for the Coalition I'm available to answer any questions.

To view animations and videos and learn about leading hair restoration physicians visit http://www.regrowhair.com/our_physicians.asp

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I've only had one HT, and if I recall correctly, I was given the option of sutures or dissolvable sutures (I can't say for sure whether my doc offered staples as an option or not.). Anyway, convenience (specifically dissolvable sutures and not having to get them removed) and pain were not a consideration in my ultimate decision......I wanted the best choice for the healing and appearance of my scar and specifically told my doc my thoughts on the choice. He then recommended that I have normal sutures.

As far as pain or discomfort goes, I never experienced either. I've had stitches at different points in my life, and this was really no different. I slept well, I didn't even notice they were there, and my only concern was to make sure I didn't harm the sutured area. The only incovenience was the drive back to the doctor's office (which I didn't mind and actually wanted him checking everything and making sure it looked okdidn't mind at all), and just a slight pinch or two while he was removing the sutures. As far as the outcome of my scar, I can still cut my hair to a #2 guard without it being noticed.

Like Rugger said..each doc is going to have his preference, and each patient as well. I'm with FM (forum moderator)....as long as you are comfortable with your doctor's skills and abilities to provide you with a tiny scar, then the whole staple/suture probably isn't such a large concern.

Had dissolvable sutures with my 1st HT (well dissolvable.... it still needed a great deal of pulling and sweating to get rid of them) and staples with the 2nd one. I much prefer staples because they seem to give a cleaner result, though there can be some serious pain when they're taken out by someone who's never done that before (like my wife!).

But then again, as NC30 points out, it depends on what the doc is comfortable with. In many cases I doubt you'll have the choice anyway. Discuss that with your doc well before your surgery if you have any concern with either option.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day