Forehead swelling

Hi, im 5 days out from FUT in Thailand with a reputable ABHRS surgeon, 2 days ago the swelling on my forehead went down but today iv noticed my forehead is quite swollen again, not sore, just swollen. Im now back in New Zealand, I emailed my Thai Surgeon and he said to get some more anti inflams, and to start wearing the forehead band again to contain the swelling away from my eyes. My NZ doctor today who I visited said she knew nothing of hair transplants, she said the Strip scar donor site was looking good and stitches were looking healthy, but she was concearned about the forehead swelling, she said there could be a risk of a facial absess so she prescribed me Flucloxacillin antibiotics 500mg 4 times a day.

Im concerned the antibiotics, or in particular that type could compromise my graft success, as I know she has no knowledge in the field, wheres my Thai surgeon has only reccomended Naproxen anti inflam and the head band. I have emailed my Thai surgeon, with the same question, but do you think its safe to use the antibiotics my NZ doctor told me to, after all she is just being cautious and admits to not knowing anything about hair transplants.

Thanks.

Thanks,

Yes My Thai surgeon just emailed me and said take the anti inflams but not the antibiotics. So I wont take them.

I need rest for sure, I spent the following 2 days post surgery walking around airports and 11 hours in the air....

my swelling hit after both surgeries late on the 3rd day and lasted 4-6 days. I would say after my larger 2nd surgery the swelling made me appear almost unrecognizable, but it subsided pretty quick in a few days.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Most post-op instructions will cover the issue of potential swelling. Ice packs work well "if" used immediately following the procedure because once the swelling occurs, it's hard to reduce even with ice. And I'm referring to a high level of swelling otherwise ice can work wonders if the swelling is not acute.

Also, many docs will provide and/or prescribe an oral steroid (Prednisone) and that can also really help.

But at this point in time, you pretty much have to wait it out IMHO. Let's hope you won't get any darkened eyes from this....:cool:

Congrats on your recent procedure...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Most post-op instructions will cover the issue of potential swelling. Ice packs work well "if" used immediately following the procedure because once the swelling occurs, it's hard to reduce even with ice. And I'm referring to a high level of swelling otherwise ice can work wonders if the swelling is not acute.

Also, many docs will provide and/or prescribe an oral steroid (Prednisone) and that can also really help.

But at this point in time, you pretty much have to wait it out IMHO. Let's hope you won't get any darkened eyes from this....:cool:

Congrats on your recent procedure...;)

Darkened eyes? is there a risk of this? should I wear my head band till the swelling goes or are you joking?

Devious,

My head swelled up like a balloon after surgery, and one eye was completely shut for a few days becuase the swelling was so bad. Don't worry about it, it will go down in 5/6 days.

I didn't wear any kind of headband. I just gently helped the fluid on it's natural passage down my face by massaging downwards lightly over my forehead and nose.

Devious,

My head swelled up like a balloon after surgery, and one eye was completely shut for a few days becuase the swelling was so bad.

Did you make a YT video? And you went with Hesson and Wong? If so I watched your YT video.

Mine never went total crazy swelling, but today is 7 days since the procedure and my forehead is still puffy, no more no less than 4 days ago, getting nervous lol.

I just worry about my wee guys growing in my temple, I want to know they arnt getting harmed.

Darkened eyes? is there a risk of this? should I wear my head band till the swelling goes or are you joking?

No, I was not joking but if it has not occurred by now, it probably won't. Sometimes the effect of gravity continues to pull the fluids downward and for those individuals with more acute swelling, it can sometimes affect the eyes.

That's usually the reason for the headband, to help prevent the fluids from moving further downward.

You should be on the upswing now, and starting to see some improvement over the next several days.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY