Lingering hair transplant redness

At 6 months my recipient area is still quite pink. Could this be due to the skin already being damaged and slightly discolored from my original transplant?

My GP said there isn't any infection, and my surgeon recommended steroids.

Can steroids cause any issues with hair, or should I just give it a go?

red.thumb.jpg.56d38449e47934ba75aaefb52eb399d4.jpg

A short burst of prednisone won't hurt you, however the drug is linked to hair loss and a number of other serious side effects in higher doses. Everyone's skin is different and you may just have a fair complection that needs more time to settle down. Slight pinkness at 6 months is not unusual. Although corticosteroids in small amounts aren't a problem the stuff is bad news and I'd avoid taking it even in small doses.

I don't think it's totally out of the ordinary for the redness to still be lingering at 6 months (especially considering how white you say your scalp is naturally), so I wouldn't look too much into it at this point. Spex posted a thread recently about tips for this sort of thing, one of which being witch hazel. I never used it personally and just let my redness run its course, but it's worth looking into. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56