Taking Propecia...

RoboNick

Hello ya all!

IM 22 years old and I started loosing hair when I was 18 and now its starting to realy show ... I was never told to use any medicin only regain but it was to expensive and as told on the package you stop using you will lose your hair... so anyways now I started to search on the internet and found this forum and lots of other info on other sites about propecia... so I have taking it now for 2 months but it feel like Im loosing more hair when I started to take it then before when I didnt take nothing... could this be for real? If so, should I stop taking it or switch to other pills?

//Robo

Hello ya all!

IM 22 years old and I started loosing hair when I was 18 and now its starting to realy show ... I was never told to use any medicin only regain but it was to expensive and as told on the package you stop using you will lose your hair... so anyways now I started to search on the internet and found this forum and lots of other info on other sites about propecia... so I have taking it now for 2 months but it feel like Im loosing more hair when I started to take it then before when I didnt take nothing... could this be for real? If so, should I stop taking it or switch to other pills?

//Robo

Robo,

I've heard that Propecia can sometimes excellerate hairloss for the first couple of months. Then it stops and things go back to normal.

My guess would be that it is the hairs that were already weak and programed to fall out. Kinda like shedding.

Will these grow back? Hard to say.

Okey doesnt sound to good ... icon_frown.gif

Should I use Regain also or not? Because Im kinda doing it right .. but maybe its not to good to use Regain and Propecia and the same time?

Ive ordered a shampoo from Germany called THYMU SKIN... its called biologically highly active shampoo, a product of medical research...

RoboNick,

You can find great Minoxidil 5% Generic at Wal-Mart for less than $12 a month. Buy the 3- month pack and it is even less. As far as the Thymu Skin, I have yet to hear any conclusive results about it.

It is ok to use Finasteride (Propecia/Proscar) alongside Minoxidil. I utilize this combination myself as well as many hair loss sufferers. These two medications are the ONLY FDA-approved hair loss medications. Barring any preconexisitng medical conditions, Finasteride and Minoxidil are the way to go.

Also look into Nizoral 2%. Though it is not approved for hair loss or even manufactured for hair loss it does make the scalp environment more conducive for maintenance and regrowth.

You can follow these links to find out more information on topicals and hair loss medications.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Drugstore.com carries a "Rite-Aid" brand of Minoxidil 5% for around $27 bucks a month. If you look around enough you can find other generics including Kirkland for comparable prices.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hmm you said I could get for around 30$ for 3 months from wallmart and online 27$ for only one month? hmm is it different kind of quality or is it only that online is expensivier?

Maybe I could paypal someone in US to buy me at WALLMART and shipp it to me ? hmm

And how does this Minodidil work compare to Propecia?

the differance between the two, is pretty much Rogaine is just a brand name. They are the one's who came out with the Minoxidol. And called it Rogaine.

Now that the patent is up, Other companies are selling it under different names. Like your Regain.

The only differance to look for is 2% vs. 5%. Which is the amount of Minoxidol in it.

They are all liquid form.

Robonick,

There should be no reason to have to do that when you can just order it direct from drugstore.com or other sites. Type "Kirkland Minoxidil" or "generic Minoxidil" into Google and you will come up with a plethora of websites that sell generic minoxidil. You can do your own price shopping and get it sent directly to you.

Keep in mind that although the 5% is stronger (and studies show to be more effective) it is greasier when you apply it. That is something to look out for.

When shopping for Finasteride, don't cheap out. Get Merck brand Proscar and chop it in half and take it every other day. There are generics out there from India and other countries that are NOT regulated. There have been numerous reports that these drugs can have high levels of heavy metals and even arsenic in them. Sometimes they will even have very little or NONE of the active ingredient. Who wants that???? Noone, that's who. A few pennies a month extra that Proscar costs is worth the assurance that you are getting quality medication.

-Robert

Okey but I hope the shipping fee from online store wont be huge! Mostly its MEGA huge when I look on stuff like that... gonna check later today!

You mean to buy Proscar instead of Propecia? Hmm... the question is if its so good to take everything in a stronger dose ... ?

I have one more question....

Not related to this thread but anyways...

I see that many people that does the HT choose the method were they slice in the back .. why? Isnt it better to make the HT where they directly pull out the root in the back without leaving any slicetrace ?

Robonick,

Your questions are good and certainly need to be addressed.

As for the Proscar/Propecia: Proscar and Propecia have the same active ingredient :Finasteride. They are made by the same manufacturer: Merck. Proscar is 5 mg. Propecia is 1 mg. A popular way to save money is to cut the Proscar 5 mg tablet into 1/4ths and take 1.25 mg daily or to half the pill and take that every other day. If money is no object, then by all means buy the Propecia if you wish.

The answer to your question that deals with the methods of extraction can be summed up here. There are varying levels of discussion at any given time on which to use for which situation. My best advice to you is to read posts from vetran patients of each and decide for yourself. Like anything else, there are pros and cons.

-Robert

Okey thx for the answers!

Right now I dont know if I should continue with the Propecia and Rogaine... When I check my hair it looks like Im still loosing hair and like its loosing faster now when Im on Propecia and it looks like in some areas there is more hair and in other areas there is thinner of hair... before I had like the same everywhere except in the front like an island but not that much like right now hmm... What do you think guys .. should I drop this drog?

RoboNick,

What you are seeing is shedding and when you initially take finasteride it can happen. Many people go through this.

You have only been on Finasteride for 2 months, correct? That is nowhere near long enough to see a result. I would suggest that you stick with it for at least a year to see what it can do for you.

-Robert

Okey but this hair that I loose faster will it grow back ? Because you say that Im only for 2 months so thats nothing.. you mean this shadding will go on and on for more months? Because if its gonna go on Im gonna get bold!!! icon_eek.gif

Im realy afraid now... dont know what to do... Im just 22 years old icon_frown.gif

//Robo

It is hard to say if it will come back or not. If they shed due to starting the Finasteride regimen then they were doomed to fall out soon anyway. The thing is that you are now proactively utilizing the DHT inhibitor in Finasteride. It takes a while to see results (at least a few months if not longer) but a majority of users do see additional growth and almost all user say it helps maintain what they have.

-Robert

Okey well.. what can I do.. I can chill and pray for good results icon_razz.gif

EDIT!

I read some info about shedding and this is what I came up with

"Shedding is a term given to an excessive amount of hair being lost at once. While this is a very unpleasant experience, it is actually a very good sign and indication that the Propecia is working. Shedding occurs when many follicles are put back into the growth cycle at the same time. When a hair enters the anagen or growth phase the first thing that happens is the old hair is pushed out by the new hair that is starting to grow. Shedding usually occurs after about 12 weeks of treatment and lasts for around 4-6 weeks. After this initial shedding phase has occurred most men experience fewer and fewer of these and most often they go largely unnoticed. If you are going though a shed phase do not panic as it will most likely slow down and stop after a few weeks. If you experienced an increased amount of hair loss almost immediately after taking Propecia it is likely that you are experiencing a hypoandrogenic effect and not a shed. If this is that case then you should see a physician about possibly discontinuing the drug. "

Is says that if I shadde in the begining its not shadding... And what can I say Im like in the 4-5 week and I have notive my hair much more thinner... so is it realy shedding Im experiecing?

//RobotNick

Finasteride takes at least 90 days to "effectively" begin the inhibition of Type I DHT.

And I agree, stay with it for at least one year to accurately evaluate its efficiency.

Finasteride is effective in approximately 95% of the men who ingest it inclusive of all ethnic backgrounds.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY