Hairline trouble???

Hi all,

I'm a bit worried about my hairline around the left temple. I'm 26 nearly 27, since I was about 21 I have noticed my left temple appears to have receded. It's not moved since I first noticed it at 21. I'm not concerned about the right side, just the left. When I look under harsh lights it's more noticeable.

Here are some pictures: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9XnixJOMtTRMFRKTFhHM0pZUjA&usp=sharing

What are your thoughts, will this get any worse? Is it worth me looking into starting a treatment or am I just being paranoid?

Many thanks in advance.

I'd say both temples have receded somewhat and there may be a little frontal hairline thinning. Starting treatment could definitely be a good option for you. However, you still have what appears to be a good head of hair by and large.

Just my opinion and I don't claim to know authoritatively!

Red,

I'm with chestnut on this one: I think you have some mild thinning throughout the entire "frontal band" there. Treatment in this region can be a little tricky. Most of the preventive medications -- namely finasteride and minoxidil -- are said to work most efficiently in the mid and crown/vertex regions of the scalp. This is a little more of a complicated issue, but I think most agree that these preventive medications tend to work more effectively in the middle and more posterior parts of the scalp.

However, you're absolutely at a period where you've caught the hair loss early and preventive medications will likely be a big help. After you've stabilized the hair loss, you could always look into augmenting the areas that bother you in the front surgically.

But I think the most important steps now would be : 1) Seeing a hair loss doctor in person to confirm -- or refute -- what we are speculating here; 2) If you are losing hair, discussing -- with said doctor -- preventive medications and if they are right for you.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 3 weeks later...