Has SMP in an FUT scar worked for anyone?

I am to the point where 3000+ grafts is simply not giving great coverage and the attempt by Shapiro to add 400-500 grafts to my FUT scar has amounted in negligible difference to the scar.

So I would like to cut my hair fairly short — not shaved — and obscure the scar. Have you seen any photos of this looking decent? I have seen a few photos on HIS forums that show a shaved head and scar and it looked way darker than the skin. It was almost like a black stripe across the back of the head which is worse.

FWIW, I went to Long Island and had temporary ink done there and it disappeared in 2 months. I am considering HIS for scar work, but am worried about it.

Has anyone had this done in a scar with success?

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

Hi Multiplier,

I'm sorry to hear the SMP we did only lasted 2 months. The nature of temporary pigment is that it will disappear, but I agree that 2 months is too soon. The reason our pigment is temporary is that we inject at a shallow depth (.5mm) as well as the composition of our pigment. Normally we tell our clients to expect 1-2 years before the pigment fades/disappears to the point of needing a touchup.

Now scar tissue can be tricky, especially when it's stretched or keloid. Often there are various depths within the scar and the vascularity has changed making injecting pigment a challenge sometimes. This can cause the dots to spread/bleed, or sometimes the pigment just doesn't take. This is why we suggest doing a test patch first, as we did in your case. Now your scar seemed to handle the pigment just fine (dots stayed small), unfortunately it just didn't last long enough. To remedy this I would try setting the needle to work a little deeper. As I mentioned in our email correspondence this would be done free of charge. Let me know, or if you have any other questions I am always available.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks hairthere - I want to clarify that Ahead was totally helpful, well-informed and easy about the whole process and it's probably just something in my biology and nature of my scar that made it fade. I will follow up with you via email.

If anyone has seen photos of short hair with SMP on an FUT scar, I would love to see good examples or hear from people's experiences. I can't quite seem to find what I'm looking for via Google image search.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

• 1 month later...
Thanks hairthere - I want to clarify that Ahead was totally helpful, well-informed and easy about the whole process and it's probably just something in my biology and nature of my scar that made it fade. I will follow up with you via email.

If anyone has seen photos of short hair with SMP on an FUT scar, I would love to see good examples or hear from people's experiences. I can't quite seem to find what I'm looking for via Google image search.

Me neither. I would like to see SMP into a fut scar with short hair. Pictures with someone with a fade haircut would be perfect. Or pics with smp amd fue combo into a fut scar.

Multiplier,

I think this is a good question. I know that many people undergo scalp micropigmentation (SMP) for a few reasons, one of which is to further camouflage their existing linear scar from FUT/strip surgery. I actually considered getting this done myself - not that my scar is bad at all, but it would give me the option to wear my hair a little shorter. I've seen some photos of SMP consumers who've gotten this done and it certainly looks good. It will be interesting to hear from people who have actually gotten it done.

Best wishes,

Bill