Need help in deciding for FUT Vs FUE

Hi Guys and special thanks to David the moderator who helped me on how to use this site.

I already had an HT fue method 9months ago, however the result is not mature yet.

I am planning to have another HT to increase the density at hair line and mid scalp and to cover the remaining bald area.

I had discussions with HDC clinic who advised that my initial HT needs repair and they can do it.

Seen Dr Bisanga face to face consultation and he said a combination of FUT+FUE+BHT would achieve in the range of 6000 to 6500 hair and should be enough to do what I need.

According to him my hair density at the back is 65 and sides 60/sqcm, obviously this is post FUE for 3000.

In addition, had another face to face consultation with Dr Bhatti here in London, he did a visual inspection and said that density at the back and sides were around 40 to 45/sqcm which really disappointed me.

Now I do not know who to believe? Although, I have booked to have my procedure with Dr Bisanga in Brussels which will cost me around ?18000, but I do not want to have it if density was not accurately assessed, having said this, he did shorten my hair and used his magnifier to check the density.

One interesting point to see is that according to HDC clinic, I am not a good candidate for Strip and this is due to degree of hair loss the back. The reason being, the scar might be difficult to cover.

I am attaching some photos and welcome your suggestions.

Please note that I weekly trim my hair including the transplanted because they are still at various stages and do not like one being long and the other one being short.

Need to make my final decision where to go for the best result and therefore, your advise is really appreciated.

IMG_2317.JPG.6dcfd3586090e5d3891812e122d7ef93.JPG

IMG_2590.JPG.8e2bc449f80405aaa8cc5d64a19c492b.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG.1af276aafa550783f89c7ae5ff497ea7.JPG

sultsay

Sultsay,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting your questions. In my opinion, people with advanced balding should consider getting strip surgery first until they can't achieve any more and then undergo FUE so that you can maximize both coverage and density. The problem with getting strip surgery after FUE is that some of the follicles in the strip could have been damaged from the extraction process and thus, you may lose some valuable hair. But, I honestly do think that if you are looking to achieve maximum coverage, density and the number of hair follicles moved from the donor to the recipient area, I suggest going with a combination of strip and FUE.

Obviously, every surgeon has their own approach and some doctors don't even provide strip while others don't even provide FUE. So clearly surgeons who don't offer a particular procedure will give you different advice.

All of the clinic/surgeons you mentioned above are recommended by this community and do outstanding work. At the end of the day, you will need to select a surgeon/clinic that you feel is best for you and that matches your personal philosophy. I just personally feel that a combination of both strip and FUE would be the most beneficial to you since you require a large number of grafts to provide coverage and density.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill

I am more inclined to go for the combination. I find it really difficult to understand the huge difference in my hair density based on assessments by two different outstanding HT Surgeons.

sultsay

Sult,

What about the initial FUE required repair? It looks like you had a pretty big session size and the yield was about on par for FUE megasessions.

Bill provides some excellent advice above. I would read his post several times and really take it to heart.

Furthermore, it is very fortunate you were able to meet with Dr Bisanga. He clearly has a vision for what you would need, and it seems like he's really looking to stretch your donor. And this is good because it sounds like the previous FUE hit it pretty hard. Which is understandable for the size of your case. Did he recommend working in the previously grafted area as well?

Best of luck. You're doing the right thing researching like this, and it'll pay off in the end.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.