Distinguishing Normal Redness and Pimples from an Infection

Hi,

I had my first HT in January. My surgeon told me that I would need to watch for pimples that appear in the recipient area in the following months. He told me to pop pimples that form whiteheads as these can lead to infection. Unfortunately the redness from the surgery took a few months to subside, so I found it hard to look for and detect any pimples. Now that it has subsided, I actually find it more difficult with the native hair having grown back in. I check daily, but usually just see a lot of red blotchy patches and some red pimples, which I was told was a normal part of the process as the new hair starts to grow in. I guess I'm just really concerned with being able to distinguish between normal redness and irritation and a possible infection like folliculitis. I've been to a couple of walk-in doctors, with one saying it could be infected and the other saying it is normal. Does anyone have any advice on this or a similar experience? Thanks

5b32ecc03b3fb_Top-May20.thumb.jpg.61de8d40b9d69cfa612c674fa7d95dbe.jpg

mrcarrol,

I opened your photo into a much larger frame and do not see any signs of an infection. Everything looks pretty normal...just a little lingering redness.

Usually an infection is manifested with white tipped bumps and some inflammation.

If you are not near your surgeon, any good dermatologist should be able to look at the area to physically exam your scalp.

Congrats on your recent procedure...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY