saw palmetto

jewelgirl

Has anyone tried saw palmetto to treat thinning hair? I am a woman of 69 years. Also, which oil is best to treat scalp dryness? I eat a very healthy diet, take vitamins and use the laser cap. I had a recent transplant. I have androgenic thinning in the front that is not terrible. I read that the above supplement blocks the production of DHT. I plan on asking My Dr. Glenn Charles about it but I wonder if others have experience with this herb. Thanks and be gentle with yourself. We are more than our hair....

Jewel,

Saw Palmetto is an active ingredient in a number of alternative hair loss treatments and allegedly stops the effects of DHT from destroying hair follicles. That said, it is not clinically proven and it is not FDA approved. That said, many of the treatments that include this ingredient have allegedly run in ternal tests that have shown positive results. Since women for the most part should not use finasteride products like Propecia, it may be worth trying Saw palmetto products to see if they have any benefit. That said, I do strongly suggest considering the use of Rogaine foam, the strongest and most effective version of Rogaine that is FDA approved for treating hair loss in both men and women. The 2% Rogaine solutions are for women while the 5% solutions are for men. That said, many women do use the 5% solution because he is stronger and has a greater chance of helping reduce hair loss and possibly even really regrowing some hair. Be sure however, to make sure to wash any areas the Rogaine touches that is not areas of fitting as it can cause hair growth in some unwanted areas such as the face and hands.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Thank you so much for your reply! I bought some of this herb today along with the 5% minoxidil. I'll let you know how things go in a few months. In the meantime I'll keep checking out this hair restoration web site.

In the clinical trials involving a total of 1333 females, spontaneous reports of hypertrichosis/facial hair were noted for 50 (4%) females in a dose-related pattern of response (5% MTS > 2% MTS > placebo). Nine females (seven and two in the 5% MTS and 2% MTS groups, respectively) discontinued treatment because of hypertrichosis/facial hair. Solicited reports of excessive hair growth (primarily facial) also showed a dose-related pattern of response. Post-marketing data showed a lower occurrence (0.5%) of hypertrichosis/facial hair than in the clinical trials. Of interest, in one clinical trial, 27% of the females enrolled (MTS and placebo treated) had facial hair growth reported at baseline.

My Thread: 

hello Harin

i'm trying to make a conclusion based on the results of this trial. Is it that a small number of women get facial hair from taking saw palmetto? Was there any evidence of increased hair on the scalp? By the way your hair transplants look awesome. What do you use to keep it healthy?

Saw Palmetto is a very weak anti androgen and will most likely not help. I'm not a doctor but have you looked into estrogen replacement therapy? Restoring estrogen levels will lower elevated androgens and restore hormonal balance.

Hi Lacey

thanks for your reply. I have considered using it but 20 years ago I was diagnosed with lobular carrcinoma insitu which isn't cancer put increases the risk of cancer (20% instead of 12% in the general population). I had preventative mastectomies at age 46.

My gyn has offered it to me for vaginal dryness and it would take care of the hormone imbalance. I just had a hair transplant, use the laser cap and started rogaine. So I think I'll wait and see how things develop. I'm afraid I'll worry about taking estrogen instead of fretting about my hair!!!

I'm guessing that you take estrogen? How old are you and are you using any other remedies?