How much blood and pain if you dislodge your hair 7 days post op?

It's been 7 days since I had my hair transplant surgery. I just rubbed my scab with my fingernail and I can see the scab in my nail. Since it is 7 days post op, would I still bleed if I dislodge my hair. How much blood should I have? Also, should there be any pain? If yes, how much pain?

EvansTelly,

7 days post op is a fairly safe time for the grafts. At Shapiro Medical this is when we actually encourage patients to begin to use their finger tips to gently massage away any of the remaining scabs.

At this point, any scabs that fall are perfectly normal. Also, some hair may fall along with the scabs. This too is to be expected. The follicle remains in the scalp but the external hair typically does break off. At about a months time, most patients should see the cast majority of the transplanted hair has fallen off.

Usually the only window of time that a graft can fall out and cause bleeding is in the first 1-3 days. During this time, the graft can be bumped out or fall out if there is any rough handling of the scalp. There is not typically any pain associated with this.

What you probably dislodged was a crust, not a scab. Crusts are the dried out tips of graft tissue above the scalp line and as Dr. Josephitis pointed out, most doctors and clinics will want their patients to begin removing the crusting at approximately 7-10 days post-op.was stated.

Congrats on your procedure...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY