The advantage of Copper in wounds/scars

Smoothy

For some of you new posters who want to know about GraftCyte from ProCyte who develops Copper peptide medicines for burns/wound healing/and scars-- Here's some general info:

Copper is an element essential to a number of physiologic processes in the human body, yet has not enjoyed the same degree of consumer understanding as iron and zinc. The presence of copper in living tissues has been known for more than 200 years. Early medicinal applications of copper typically involved treatment of painful joints and muscles using copper bracelets, or copper-containing ointments. Scientific studies have clearly defined a role for copper in the regulation of growth, development, and function of the human body.

Less than 1 mg of copper is available in the typical daily American diet. Through a complicated series of exchanges, copper finds its way into the blood system, bound primarily to ceruloplasmin. Copper is utilized by essentially every cell; resulting in the intracellular formation of copper-dependent enzymes - including cytochrome c oxidase (energy production) and superoxide dismutase (antioxidation). Copper is also essential for other enzymes including lysyl oxidase (crosslinking of elastin and collagen) and dopamine beta hydroxylase (catecholamine formation). In the 1970's, scientists isolated a sequence of amino acids (glycyl-L-histidyl-L-lysine; GHK) in human serum that bound copper, and used that initial piece of information to build a peptide copper-based technology with implications in anti-aging and tissue repair processes.

Not all copper is the same! Recent studies have shown that copper salts and GHK peptide added separately did not stimulate collagen synthesis. (12) ProCyte's patented complexation of the GHK peptide to copper has been a dynamic breakthrough in copper therapeutics.

Through careful formulation and clinical guidance, ProCyte has been able to develop a number of innovative GHK Copper Peptide products to treat a wide range of conditions. ProCyte conducted and published a number of wound healing clinical studies showing the benefits of GHK-Cu (Iamin?®, Prezatide Copper Acetate). (3,4) The activities of the compound were supported by research studies showing positive effects on collagen deposition (5), tensile strength (6), angiogenesis (7), and SOD activity. (8) Published studies on hair growth using a different copper peptide compound demonstrated the positive influence of copper on hair follicle cycle regulation. (9) More recent studies have demonstrated GHK copper's positive impact in diminishing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. (11)

Utilizing the knowledge that copper peptides provide an essential function relative to tissue repair and skin health, it is ProCyte's goal to provide the clinician with safe and effective products to enhance the healing outcome of cosmetic surgery and hair transplant procedures, leading to a more effective procedure and improved results. The GraftCyte?® System, Complex Cu3?® and Iamin?® family of products incorporate both the science of copper peptides, and the known benefits of moist wound healing. (10)

The Neova?® line of anti-aging products provides GHK Copper Peptide Complex?„? in cosmetically elegant formulations for daily skin care.

ProCyte continues to explore new applications for copper peptide complexes bringing new innovation to physicians and consumers to help improve outcomes and quality of life.

For some of you new posters who want to know about GraftCyte from ProCyte who develops Copper peptide medicines for burns/wound healing/and scars-- Here's some general info:

Copper is an element essential to a number of physiologic processes in the human body, yet has not enjoyed the same degree of consumer understanding as iron and zinc. The presence of copper in living tissues has been known for more than 200 years. Early medicinal applications of copper typically involved treatment of painful joints and muscles using copper bracelets, or copper-containing ointments. Scientific studies have clearly defined a role for copper in the regulation of growth, development, and function of the human body.

Less than 1 mg of copper is available in the typical daily American diet. Through a complicated series of exchanges, copper finds its way into the blood system, bound primarily to ceruloplasmin. Copper is utilized by essentially every cell; resulting in the intracellular formation of copper-dependent enzymes - including cytochrome c oxidase (energy production) and superoxide dismutase (antioxidation). Copper is also essential for other enzymes including lysyl oxidase (crosslinking of elastin and collagen) and dopamine beta hydroxylase (catecholamine formation). In the 1970's, scientists isolated a sequence of amino acids (glycyl-L-histidyl-L-lysine; GHK) in human serum that bound copper, and used that initial piece of information to build a peptide copper-based technology with implications in anti-aging and tissue repair processes.

Not all copper is the same! Recent studies have shown that copper salts and GHK peptide added separately did not stimulate collagen synthesis. (12) ProCyte's patented complexation of the GHK peptide to copper has been a dynamic breakthrough in copper therapeutics.

Through careful formulation and clinical guidance, ProCyte has been able to develop a number of innovative GHK Copper Peptide products to treat a wide range of conditions. ProCyte conducted and published a number of wound healing clinical studies showing the benefits of GHK-Cu (Iamin?®, Prezatide Copper Acetate). (3,4) The activities of the compound were supported by research studies showing positive effects on collagen deposition (5), tensile strength (6), angiogenesis (7), and SOD activity. (8) Published studies on hair growth using a different copper peptide compound demonstrated the positive influence of copper on hair follicle cycle regulation. (9) More recent studies have demonstrated GHK copper's positive impact in diminishing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. (11)

Utilizing the knowledge that copper peptides provide an essential function relative to tissue repair and skin health, it is ProCyte's goal to provide the clinician with safe and effective products to enhance the healing outcome of cosmetic surgery and hair transplant procedures, leading to a more effective procedure and improved results. The GraftCyte?® System, Complex Cu3?® and Iamin?® family of products incorporate both the science of copper peptides, and the known benefits of moist wound healing. (10)

The Neova?® line of anti-aging products provides GHK Copper Peptide Complex?„? in cosmetically elegant formulations for daily skin care.

ProCyte continues to explore new applications for copper peptide complexes bringing new innovation to physicians and consumers to help improve outcomes and quality of life.

Smoothy,

Great research and post on this topic. It's so assuring to know there are individuals like you who do your homework and then share it with the rest of us. icon_smile.gif

In my last two procedures I utilized Procyte's post-op wound care treatment which comes in a kit. They are Graftcyte products which promote soft tissue healing in the scalp. There are 3 days supply of moist dressings that are applied to the recipient area twice per day. There is a bottle of Graftcyte spray which is applied to the recipient area between dressing applications. There are shampoo and rinses and even an ointment rich in copper-peptide which is applied to the suture line. It's probably the best post-op package available for HTs.

I also use their shampoo product, Tricomin, which is a revitalizing product that contains the essential triamino copper nutritional complex. I first use a cheaper but good quality shampoo to clean the spray and oils in my hair. Then I apply just a small drop of Tricomin in my hands and apply it to my scalp where it suds up tremendously. I allow the suds to sit on my head for 5-7 minutes and rinse off. The complex is absorbed by my hair cylinders and subsequently delivered to the dermal papilla inside the hair follicules.

The big difference I notice is my hair cylinders feel "stronger" and look healthier versus the past shampoo products I have used.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Bana,

Copper peptide "advances" the healing of the soft tissue in a culminated moist environment which help reduce the formation of scar matter by promoting quicker healing.

Copper-peptide is utilized in burn units in hospitals for those very reasons.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Smoothy -

Excellent post. Does anyone know what foods contain useful levels of copper? I always assume that we need supplements only because we've strayed from a "wholesome" diet.

From spineuniverse.com:

"Copper

Copper is a metal that your body needs in small amounts. Even though you need very little, copper is an essential nutrient that helps make hemoglobin, the main component of red blood cells. It also produces energy and forms collagen, a key part of bones and connective tissue. Copper helps your nervous system operate properly, and helps protect nerve fibers.

We do not know all the ways copper helps people. Research has shown that copper may make your immune system stronger, may help relieve the symptoms of arthritis and other inflammatory conditions, and may even help lessen allergy symptoms.

Some people with arthritis wear copper bracelets to help reduce pain. Research has shown that these and other copper medications may provide relief of arthritis pain. If you have arthritis, talk with your health care provider about whether copper may be helpful to you.

Copper is available in many foods. Although you need very little copper, most people in the United States probably do not get as much copper as they should from their diet. However, very few people get so little copper that it causes health problems, so supplementation is probably unnecessary. You can improve your copper balance by including foods that contain copper, such as shellfish and nuts.

Uses

You should talk with your provider before taking copper supplements. Copper may be helpful if you have the following conditions: arthritis, anemia, chemical hypersensitivity, high cholesterol, aneurysms, fatigue, allergies, and stomach ulcers

Pregnant women need more copper. As always, if you are pregnant, talk with your health care provider before taking any supplements.

Dietary Sources

Copper is found in many varied food sources. The best sources include the following.

* Seafood (especially raw oysters; also squid, whelk, lobster, mussels, crab, and other shellfish)

* Organ meats (beef liver, kidneys, heart)

* Nuts (for example, cashews, filberts, macadamia nuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios)

* Legumes (especially lentils, navy beans, and peanuts)

* Chocolate (unsweetened or semisweet baker's chocolate, cocoa)

* Cereals (for example, bran flakes, shredded wheat, raisin bran)

* Fruits and vegetables (for example, dried fruits, mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes, bananas, grapes, avocado)

* Blackstrap molasses

* Black pepper

* An additional source is from water that flows through copper pipes.

Other Forms

Copper supplements are available, often combined with sulfate, picolinate, gluconate, and amino acids.

How to Take It

Daily dietary copper intake recommended by the National Research Council of the United States: 1.5 to 3.0 mg per day for adults. For children 2 to 11 years, 1.5 to 2.5 mg. Not recommended for children under 2.

The best way to get enough copper is to add foods to your diet that contain copper.

If you take copper supplements, you should also take zinc. You should take 8 to 15 mg of zinc for every 1 mg of copper you take.

Precautions

You don't need a lot of copper. You should consult your health care provider before taking copper supplements. Too much copper can cause nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, headache, dizziness, weakness, and diarrhea. Dangerous levels of copper (copper poisoning) are extremely rare. However, severe cases can lead to heart problems, jaundice, coma, and even death.

You should avoid eating acidic foods that are stored in copper containers.

Keep copper supplements away from children.

Possible Interactions

Your copper balance could be hurt by alcohol, eggs, fructose, and molybdenum (a metallic element found in trace amounts in the human body).

Your body may have a hard time absorbing copper from food if you are ingesting too much calcium, iron, manganese, tin, zinc, vitamin B6, vitamin C, or antacids."

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Nice list of foods with copper-- well done.

Gillenator, thanks for the insight on other copper peptide products. I assume ProCyte makes Trocomin as well? Is Trocomin used daily, weekly, or just during HT recovery?

I would like to look into this and add it to my shampoo regiment of Nixon. Thanks for the additional info.

Yes, Copper peptides are used in burn units, as well as other medical recovery situations as well as anti-anging recently.

I have read that some users experience good results with products like Folligen and Revivogen.

Folligen makes products that contain copper-peptides for scar and skin rejuvenation.

DHT Inhibitors

Growth Stimulators

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Smoothy,

Your welcome! Yes, Tricomin is a Procyte product and I use it every other day. It is the Graftcyte spray and shampoo that are utilized for surgical procedures to advance healing. They are two of the components in the kit I referred to.

You should be able to purchase their products on-line or from one of the hair clinics. The clinics seem to charge double what Procyte does on-line. Best to you Smoothy!

Robert,

Thank you for all of that information especially the dietary foods and supplements. I think I will start adding more of the food items into my diet as I always prefer natural supplements. We'll all probably feel heathier too! Take care!

Gillenator