Three Experiences later...

irlhair

Decided to do this as it has been a huge help to me to read others honest thoughts and reviews. So here goes.

3 surgeries later I feel I want to share my thoughts and recommendations:

Had my first go at transplantation at the Nobel Clinic in London in the late 90s (micro-graft). What a horrific place, and similar results. I was young and naive, and although it could have been worse, they should have been closed down years ago. I notice they have either regrouped or changed their name. All I can say is avoid avoid!

Within a year I knew I needed to have another op as the hairline looked poor, lots of 2 and three-hair grafts right at the front. Terrible.

About 3 years later I decided to try NHI in Los Angeles with William Rassman, who, it appeared, was a world expert. It's a little hard to tell between the 2 surgeries but I'm not sure it was quite the right job. I wanted a better hairline, and that I didn't really get. Now, I reckon they didn't do a large enough session (Can't remember exactly how many grafts, but was c.1500, FUT). I liked Dr Rassman, and the clinic was fine, but somehow I think it just wasn't their finest work. The hairline still looked poor and there was no way it was unnoticeable - quite the opposite really.

So - after a gap of 10 years and taking 1/4 tab of Finasteride daily, I decided to get this sorted out. Nothing much had changed in the intervening years, but that I think a lot of my natural hair had fallen out and what was left was mainly from the 2 ops.

This time I really looked around - I definitely wanted value but also now demanded a really good result. I decided on Europe and quickly realised there are only a few surgeons who are top notch. I ruled out the UK and Ireland (the one and only surgeon in Dublin anyone should consider Maurice Collins was just so expensive) and decided Belgium looked the best combination of excellence and price.

I flew to see Dr Jean Devoyre in his clinic and liked him. He's a no nonsense guy, doesn't seem to want to sell you anything, and his clinic was extremely impressive. He is personally there and very active with every surgery and only 2 are performed per day. There was no pressure and the cost was about a third of, for instance, what any top end UK and Ireland clinics were offering.

Finally, I did it - (3000 FUT) and although I'm only a few months down the road, I feel I have made the right decision. I'll update with how it goes as the hair grows more and what the eventual result is like. Already the hairs look much more natural and the clinic was flawless.

I think a lot of us may be in the same situation - we've had 1 or 2 not great experiences and we really want to just start to forget about our bloody hair for once. that's the way I felt and I think that's about to happen. But I needed the experience of the other 2 surgeries to really know what I wanted and where I should go.

More to follow. Good luck to everyone who's in the same boat.

Congratulations on your recent surgery sounds like it is a case of third time lucky. Having been in a similar situation I wish you all the best. Dr Devoyre produces good work and is a nice guy so I expect a great outcome for you.

Would be good to see some pics.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Hello Irhair,

Thanks for sharing your story. You are right, there are many who share your same experience. It does sound like you're on your way to finally restoring your hair properly. I like Dr DeVroye a lot. I'm confident you'll appreciate your results. 3000 grafts should help in achieving the result you seek where hair won't be on your mind all the time.

Heal well and best of luck!

Irlhair,

I feel your pain and experience in my own skin with a very similar case. Having myself two previous expensive surgeries with poor results (Dr. Harris) I also decided to travel from United States to Europe to do my 3rd one (Dr. Lorenzo).

Let's just hope we got what have been dreaming from the beginning.

Good luck!!

Minoxidil 5% twice a day

Propecia 0.5mg every other day

Ketoconazole Shampoo twice a week

Biotin, MSM, Multivitamins supplements.

1st Surgery October 2013: 1973 Grafts. ARTAS Robot. HORRIBLE DENSITY, DAMAGED DONOR AREA.

2nd Surgery Sept 2014: 1926 Grafts. Manual FUE. Little better results but still poor density (specially in the crown) compared with other top doctors.

3rd Surgery Nov 2015: 2880 Grafts. Dr. Lorenzo in Madrid, Spain. Amazing results!