Fue vs. Strip

Mikey

IMO I would only go with FUE...as I read these fourms I still see strip scars that have streched....could be the Doc or could be bad luck I guess. Why take that chance? This is only my opinion I guess because what has happened to me.....granted it was a long time ago...but at the time I thought I was using top Doc's

http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...-page.asp?WebID=1028

FUE- smaller session sizes, less "noticeable" scarring, higher transection rates, lower yields.

IMO, FUE is good for softening hairline, temple work, filling small spots that are thinning. I would only do FUE for these things or if I was an older NW2 and wanted a little work. Anything greater than a NW2, I would do strip. But you could also say I am biased as I have just had strip done, but again I am a NW4+.

We just have not seen enough larger sessions with the same yields and results of strip.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

If you are between a NW4 and NW5, strip in my opinion is your best option. You are going to need a larger session and like I said in an earlier post, we just are not seeing the same results as strip. And like Fender said, it costs significantly more and the results are simply not there.

Having lighter hair, thus less contrast between the hair and scalp will ultimately be better in terms of the illusion of density and hiding the scar. My biggest concerns initially was scar visibility and being able to shave down. I want to end up being able to shave the sides and back to a 2-clip when I am fully healed. I can almost get a away with a 3-clip at two months and my scar is still healing at this early stage. More than likely I should be able to shave with a 2-clip by summer (even though I will give a 2-clip a go after the New Year's). I have heard from several others here that they are also able to shave down to a 1-clip...

My initial HT thread:

My scar goes from above one ear, around the back and above the other ear. Probably a little longer than 30-cm. For bigger sessions like mine, that is pretty typical.

Most of the top docs use the tricho closure technique which is also what Dr. Rahal uses as well. This closure technique will allow hairs to grow through the scar, hiding the scar even further.

My initial HT thread:

Per my docs instructions, I did not put anything on the scar until it was fully closed.

At the 1.5 to 2-month mark I began to put vitamin e oil on the scar about 2 to 3 times a week before going to bed, as the scar is a little dry. I called the doc to make sure this was ok and it was. Vitamin e is known for its healing properties especially with scars and it feels soothing back there.

My initial HT thread:

IMO I would only go with FUE...as I read these fourms I still see strip scars that have streched....could be the Doc or could be bad luck I guess. Why take that chance? This is only my opinion I guess because what has happened to me.....granted it was a long time ago...but at the time I thought I was using top Doc's

Glenn:

I read these forums, I still see low (or zero) growth with FUE and sometimes i see FUE scars (FYI, yes FUE create scars)...could be the Doc or could be bad luck I guess. Why take the chance?

Don't believe the hype of FUE.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Eman's first comment is right on. For a lot of hair all at once, and with the potential for NW 5, I would go with strip.

I often agree with Latinlotus, but I think he is being too general with his post about FUE being unsuccessful.

Given that I have posted "never be first in line for anything" numerous times; I do think that a PROPERLY perfomed FUE is an excellent tool in the armamentarium of the hair surgeon in select cases. One can "stay out of trouble" by doing a relatively small FUE case of 400-700 grafts if there are concerns about healing/growth and by recognizing that even in the best of hands, FUE harvesting may vary. A frank discussion PREOP with your doctor should go over these, and also include the potential of switching to a strip if FUE harvesting is poor.

I think the current problem with FUE is that some docs may offer a bigger FUE case than they can deliver, and thus some grafts with damaged roots are planted....and never grow. Some docs can do large FUE cases well, and many can not.

We currently limit FUE cases to 500 grafts, but are having ever increasing harvest success, and I expect that number to rise. But it would be foolish for me to offer a 3000 graft FUE case. To quote Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry :" A man has got to know his limitations".

So to summarize, do your research and consider a strip for the reasons Eman and I give above.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi,

This is my first post to this site. Quick history - I am 39 YO, have been on Propecia since '98 and have been (I believe thanks to Propecia) a NW 3 ever since, with very limited hair loss since then. I always had a widow's peak, no loss on top, but thin hair in the front. Almost became one of the victims of Bosley's fancy marketing campaign about 10 years ago. What kept me from have a procedure done was the Strip method. Heard about the FUE method about 6 months ago, came across this site and ultimately heard about Dr. Epstein. Made an appointment with him in NYC and had the following done 3 weeks ago in his Miami office: Day 1: 1000 grafts, Day 2 600 grafts, all to fill up the Widow's Peak area and thicken up the front. Planning to do another 1000 grafts in about 7 months with him. Had a very good experience, there was some pain and swelling in the first few days, but it was bearable. Dr. Epstein mentioned that I should have close to 100% growth - I like to believe hime and hope it will make a difference, but time will tell. I still feel a bit sore in the donor area, but it is getting better every day. I wear my hair a bit longer so I was able to cover and hide the procedure from my colleagues (also used Topiks) - I will post pictures once I see growth

Originally posted by schalke04:

Hi,

This is my first post to this site. Quick history - I am 39 YO, have been on Propecia since '98 and have been (I believe thanks to Propecia) a NW 3 ever since, with very limited hair loss since then. I always had a widow's peak, no loss on top, but thin hair in the front. Almost became one of the victims of Bosley's fancy marketing campaign about 10 years ago. What kept me from have a procedure done was the Strip method. Heard about the FUE method about 6 months ago, came across this site and ultimately heard about Dr. Epstein. Made an appointment with him in NYC and had the following done 3 weeks ago in his Miami office: Day 1: 1000 grafts, Day 2 600 grafts, all to fill up the Widow's Peak area and thicken up the front. Planning to do another 1000 grafts in about 7 months with him. Had a very good experience, there was some pain and swelling in the first few days, but it was bearable. Dr. Epstein mentioned that I should have close to 100% growth - I like to believe hime and hope it will make a difference, but time will tell. I still feel a bit sore in the donor area, but it is getting better every day. I wear my hair a bit longer so I was able to cover and hide the procedure from my colleagues (also used Topiks) - I will post pictures once I see growth

Welcome to the board. Congrats on your recent HT. Close to 100% growth would be great! I wish you awesome growth. Please post a lot of pictures when you get a chance. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs