Advice on no-shave FUE

I've been thinning for 10+ years, on a regimen of minoxodil for probably 8 years, finasteride for the past 5. Attached pics of my current condition. I am able to conceal the loss with my current hair style to a degree, but the progression of the thinning over the past year in particular has gotten to the point where it is really causing me to be more self conscious about it.

So, I've had a couple consultations on surgical restoration options. I work in a professional setting and cannot shave my head, so what would work for me is a no-shave FUE. I am considering a 1000-1500 graft procedure focusing on the side thinning areas and "strengthening" -- but not lowering -- the hairline.

But I don't know whether this will give me a result that I will be happy with. I understand 1000 grafts is not a lot, that it will take 12-18 months for the full benefit to show, and also that I will probably continue losing residual hair over that period. Obviously it will be better than what I've got (assuming I get through any shock loss and the slow growth process without going crazy -- the ugly duckling, looks-worse-than-before thing scares the hell out of me). I assume I will need additional procedures in the future as my loss advances, not trying to do it all at once.

Just looking for some opinions about my situation, number of grafts, etc. No-shave FUE is not cheap and cost is a consideration for me. I realize FUT is also a "no-shave" procedure and is far cheaper but I just don't want the scar. Lots of looking but I've had trouble finding many no-shave FUE photo sets online to get a visual on how conspicuous the post-operative period tends to look, and what the slow growth process looks like while happening in between the residual longer hair. Would be real helpful if you have some good photos or experiences to share from a similar situation.

IMG_1424.jpg.d7234f60e9531c22442a7b3a4ce55ca2.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg.e4a1ff4cd126ad8a0e84bd50036ff010.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg.36dcf644f6a92ffdaf14178a4de8fadc.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg.4e7e79a2570a85dbe182159faaad0d8f.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg.a21c4310c245bcb5c4caa17e6fe2ec02.jpg

I had a no shave 1,792 transplant FUE. You couldn't see a thing from the back or sides after the procedure unless you lifted my hair and then just some red dots. Picture attached.

Very happy I went that route. I had to come in the day before my procedure for my special 'haircut' where they methodically cut the donor areas short but they were covered by my normal, longer hair over-top.

You seem to have similar regression and thinning to me but perhaps even deeper recession at the temples. I'm not sure you'll be happy with 1,000-1,500 transplants. It looks to me like you'd need at least a few hundred more than I did which will put you north of 2,000 and maybe up to 2,500. I did not have any lowering, just shoring up what I had left which seems to be your goal too.

Just my untrained $.02, of course, from my own experience. Go talk to a few good doctors to help give you some good direction. I'm sure you'll make a great decision for you in the end!

5b32e978a48cf_PostFUEbackofhead.jpg.bce17d99e8df30dda94ac87e2bc1b89f.jpg

20151011_223633000_iOS.jpg.be8cc1b90ced5aaf0025d02c2414234f.jpg

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Hi Siphon,

We at Darling Buds India (Dr. Bhatti) offer the no-shave technique for up to a 2000 graft transplants. The cost for the Premium Package is about $1.50 per scalp graft (FUE) and there is no additional charge for the no-shave.

For our Standard Package ($1.35 per scalp graft), the charge is $303 additional for the no-shave technique.

Below is the link to the pricing details on our website.

Hair Transplant Cost in India, FUE Cost, Price

YouTube link to a Dr. Bhatti no-shave Patient case:

As you know, the choice of an HT Surgeon should not be based on pricing alone but instead on a healthy balance of the quality of work, involvement level of the Doctor in the procedure, past patient results and the pricing.

I wish you all the best.

Best regards,

California

Edited by California
Added video link

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Thanks for the feedback. ModernHair, the place I've been working with says they can only do 1000-1200 FUE at a time with the no-shave, due to it being time consuming. Did you have to go back for multiple sessions/days to get 1700+?

Any others out there who can share their experience?

Hi Siphon,

We at Darling Buds India (Dr. Bhatti) offer the no-shave technique for up to a 2000 graft transplants. The cost for the Premium Package is about $1.50 per scalp graft (FUE) and there is no additional charge for the no-shave.

For our Standard Package ($1.35 per scalp graft), the charge is $303 additional for the no-shave technique.

Below is the link to the pricing details on our website.

Hair Transplant Cost in India, FUE Cost, Price

YouTube link to a Dr. Bhatti no-shave Patient case:

As you know, the choice of an HT Surgeon should not be based on pricing alone but instead on a healthy balance of the quality of work, involvement level of the Doctor in the procedure, past patient results and the pricing.

I wish you all the best.

Best regards,

California

While well intentioned, your posts continue to be painfully salesy. There should be rules about plugging the practice of a doctor you represent when the OP's question is purely about the nature of the procedure and his candidacy. If he was asking about clinics in India I'd find your response much more palatable.

I mean no disrespect, but a week ago you were touting FUE results as "barely any scarring". I'm sure its just enthusiasm but still.

OP- I've only had FUT recently but can tell you that in the right hands the recovery time is minimal and the visibility of scarring is quite manageable. If you're not shaving your head down (as mentioned) you wont be able to see anything. I can't speak to FUE no-shave viability but have heard some raise concerns. Hopefully others chime in, and hope that little bit helps.

While well intentioned, your posts continue to be painfully salesy. There should be rules about plugging the practice of a doctor you represent when the OP's question is purely about the nature of the procedure and his candidacy. If he was asking about clinics in India I'd find your response much more palatable.

I mean no disrespect, but a week ago you were touting FUE results as "barely any scarring". I'm sure its just enthusiasm but still.

OP- I've only had FUT recently but can tell you that in the right hands the recovery time is minimal and the visibility of scarring is quite manageable. If you're not shaving your head down (as mentioned) you wont be able to see anything. I can't speak to FUE no-shave viability but have heard some raise concerns. Hopefully others chime in, and hope that little bit helps.

Hi esrec,

You have used the "no disrespect meant" line but your posts say otherwise.

Copy/pasting an excerpt from the original post from Siphon:

"No-shave FUE is not cheap and cost is a consideration for me. I realize FUT is also a "no-shave" procedure and is far cheaper but I just don't want the scar. Lots of looking but I've had trouble finding many no-shave FUE photo sets online to get a visual on how conspicuous the post-operative period tends to look, and what the slow growth process looks like while happening in between the residual longer hair."

He expressed concerns about the pricing for the FUE no-shave procedure. In response to that, I made him aware of the pricing offered by our Clinic.

He said that he had trouble finding many no-shave FUE photo sets online to get a visual. In response to that, I posted a link of a Dr. Bhatti no-shave procedure.

He did not ask about Clinics in India but then he did not mention that he is confining himself to just clinics in North America.

I shared information and I am sure that Siphon is well researched and well informed to make his own decisions. He lives in a free country and so do we.

"Salesy" seems to be your favorite term!

The "barely any scarring" line came from me and also very recently from a Dr. Bhatti Patient "Sethicles".....You made a comment on that thread.....I am surprised that you did not call him "salesy" too.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/181600-4000-fue-virtually-zero-scarring-dr-bhatti.html

Folks that do not have a good product need to be salesy. We let our Patients and Patient results do the "salesy" talking for us.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Best regards,

Califormia

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hi esrec,

You have used the "no disrespect meant" line but your posts say otherwise.

Copy/pasting an excerpt from the original post from Siphon:

"No-shave FUE is not cheap and cost is a consideration for me. I realize FUT is also a "no-shave" procedure and is far cheaper but I just don't want the scar. Lots of looking but I've had trouble finding many no-shave FUE photo sets online to get a visual on how conspicuous the post-operative period tends to look, and what the slow growth process looks like while happening in between the residual longer hair."

He expressed concerns about the pricing for the FUE no-shave procedure. In response to that, I made him aware of the pricing offered by our Clinic.

He said that he had trouble finding many no-shave FUE photo sets online to get a visual. In response to that, I posted a link of a Dr. Bhatti no-shave procedure.

He did not ask about Clinics in India but then he did not mention that he is confining himself to just clinics in North America.

I shared information and I am sure that Siphon is well researched and well informed to make his own decisions. He lives in a free country and so do we.

"Salesy" seems to be your favorite term!

The "barely any scarring" line came from me and also very recently from a Dr. Bhatti Patient "Sethicles".....You made a comment on that thread.....I am surprised that you did not call him "salesy" too.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/181600-4000-fue-virtually-zero-scarring-dr-bhatti.html

Folks that do not have a good product need to be salesy. We let our Patients and Patient results do the "salesy" talking for us.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Best regards,

Califormia

You continue to prove my point. Thank you.