Minoxidil after FUE hair transplant

Hi there

I am 7 weeks post op now and am wondering if I should start using minoxidil. I was planning on using it 2 weeks post op but my Dr recommended I hold off until the redness reduced.

At 7 weeks post op I have completely shed and am in the ugly duckling phase.

Question is should I use Minoxidil and will it (a) help speed up growth at the 7 week point or (b) will it restart the shed cycle and thus actuallly take longer for regrowth to manifest given I'm 7 weeks post op?

I get that it would normally speed it up but I'm 7 weeks post op and have already shed.

Thanks for your help.

CJ

CJ,

I think minoxidil would be a good idea to start at this time. Yes, some docs are fine with starting the med right after surgery while others wait until the redness fades. My belief is that it can be patient dependent. Minoxidil actually can increase blood flow to the scalp and in those people that are susceptible, a redness in the scalp may develop for a longer time period post op than if they had not used the med. I know after my own transplant, I started minoxidil 2 weeks after and developed a red scalp.

Restarting minoxidil now will be beneficial to you for a couple of reasons. It will help prevent future loss of your already thinning hair. (you may have been on it already prior to surgery). Also, even though you have shed post op as you mentioned, in my experience patients can regrow the transplanted hair at a somewhat quicker rate.

Thanks DrJosephitis. That's a really helpful reply post. I think I'll start using it again then. It's so easy to use when you have a buzz cut that I might as well. Now, not to open this can of worms, but would you use once or twice a day? Do we really need to use it twice a day? Thanks again for your help. It's very much appreciated.

Just my opinion but I think it depends on the type and strength of the minoxidil being considered.

For men, you can either use the liquid form which comes at a lower strength than the 5% Rogaine Foam product.

Rogaine Foam is only recommended to use once daily...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks Gillenator. I use the Rogaine foam so I'll try once a day then. It's just annoying that the manufacturer recommends twice a day and so your mind plays tricks on you and makes you want to use it twice just on case.

Thanks again.

Any other opinions are welcome.

• 1 month later...

The thing about minoxdil is that all of of the products are absolutely loaded up with numerous alcohol based additives. This is what can potentially inflame the scalp, cause dryness, flakiness, and even itchiness.

If it's the first time using minoxidil, it can potentially have a negative effect such as inducing a shed of the neighboring native hair.

And even though some guys state that they believe the use has accelerated the regrowth, it's not the norm for everyone. And IMHO, it really does not make that much of a time line difference as compared to the potential risks of using it for the first initial time.

And like finasteride, you do become dependent on using it in the future otherwise all gains made from it will reverse.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY