Hair Oil after transplant

Heard multiple opinions about this.

when is it safe to oil the scalp or the grafted area after transplant?. just for the sake of messaging the reciepient area or the donor area.

Thanks.

My Thread: 

My post op instructions said to apply coconut oil to my scalp at 15 days, but no more after that.

Other than that, if you had a FUT, I'd guess you should wait about 4-6 weeks before applying any type of oil (coconut, bio oil, rosehip oil, or any scar healing stuff) to the scar, as it seems like the most common wait time for any cosmetic surgery scars.

My post op instructions said to apply coconut oil to my scalp at 15 days, but no more after that.

Other than that, if you had a FUT, I'd guess you should wait about 4-6 weeks before applying any type of oil (coconut, bio oil, rosehip oil, or any scar healing stuff) to the scar, as it seems like the most common wait time for any cosmetic surgery scars.

Some clinics suggest the use of Vitamin E oil to the scar and/or recipient area for the purposes of facilitating the healing process. I would not advocate the use of grooming or styling oils for at least 4 months or so post-op or until the color of the scar resumes its original scalp color after complete healing has taken place.

Yet some oils can darken the scar tissue and promote lingering redness so they can at times be counter-productive. This includes using some creams too early like Mederma or other steroidal based creams that are supposed to lighten the color of the scar. But if used too early, they can actually do the reverse.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY