Rch-01

It's supposed to cure baldness by 2020. That's in the future, men!

All one has to do to see the future is watch The Time Machine based on the H.G Wells novel. All the Eloi men have perfect hair. Not a baldy among them

But the Morlocks have even better hair.

For today we're stuck with HT Doctors, shockloss, and sexual dysfunction.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Replicel, the makers of the RCH-01 injectable, have been around for quite some time. It actually looked like they were going to give up on the product for a while (and focus more on a similar injectable solution that was actually aimed at healing tendons), but they received a 4 million dollar grant from a large Japanese company a few years back and started working more on releasing the product in Asia. And many were actually surprised by this because they did release some preliminary data about safety earlier that -- although it was focused on safety and not efficacy -- showed somewhat underwhelming results from the injections.

The RCH-01 is similar to what some others have tried in the past in that it's essentially injectable hair follicle stem cells. This is meant to do a number of things, the most important would be waking up telogen follicles -- IE conquer androgenic alopecia (AGA). What Replicel did differently, however, is derive their follicle stem cells not from the dermal papilla at the bottom of the follicle, but instead from the dermal sheath cup (DSC) that actually surrounds the bottom of the follicle. Frankly, this was a pretty bold move. I think the most relevant data shows us that the DSC can be a reservoir for dermal papilla stem cells, but really needs a functional dermal papilla from a healthy hair follicle to do much. In AGA scalp, this just isn't the case. Because of this, it may function as more of a short term booster like PRP or other growth factor serums.

Regardless, the Japanese company is still -- as far as we know -- working on the product in Asia. There are talks as to whether they could release it in Asia earlier than expected because of a new Japanese law regarding stem cell treatments and releasing commercial products only after 2 phases of clinical testing. However, the original release date was 2018 and there hasn't been a whole lot of talk to make it seem like it is on schedule for a release around that time.

What's more, I've always thought most of these injectable cures involving growth factors or stem cells would have a BIG problem obtaining FDA approval in North America.

So is it a cure? I think that may be a bold word. Could it have some benefit? Possibly, and Replicel is hoping this is true when a lot of injections are used (that's how they've been trialing it). Will it be out soon? I don't have a crystal ball, but I'm not too confident about it.

I think a true "cure" will come when you can safely and effectively create DHT-resistant follicles in a lab and then transplant in a fashion somewhat similar to what we do today. However, this is light years away. The follicle is a surprisingly complicated organ! I think the closest "cure" we may see will be donor doubling (IE splitting of the follicle into it's two regions of stem cell activity and growing two follicles from one). However, this has proven more difficult than expected. It's one of those things that makes perfect sense and works in the lab, but hasn't panned out in clinic practice.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

this video explains how it works and how they multiply cells and then inject into balding areas even making new cells that wasn't there or dormant follicles that are virtually dead come back to life. it's a great concept and sounds so simple.

if the hair or hairs taken from the back of the head are taken and multiplied these hairs would be dht resistant being as it's from the safe zone.