Looking to improve myself

Livinglife123

Being of the age of 19, I have went through some depressing times when it comes about my hairline.

This depression started in grade 6, this is when I noticed my hairline. In my grade 6 year many kids had called me grandpa due to my hairline, I had been in many fights in my grade 6 year as well because I was actually tired of being called grandpa at the age of 12. This is also when I started being depressed a lot as well, and gave up and just cut my hair down to grain every two weeks so no one really noticed my hairline. I have carried this trend all the way to grade 12 where I basically was tired of having a bald head style at a young age. Even though I had kept a low (grain/low) hair style in high school, people still noticed my hairline and girls were calling me grandpa and by time I was in grade 12 I just gave into a deep depression and came out of high school for 2 months before my final exams to graduate. I couldn't take it any more.

When I was off school I had visit two hair clinics and one of them was hair club. The hair clinics said I have a receding hairline, but because I was 18, one of the clinics said no they are not willing to work on me yet, so I went back to hair club for more help and all they did was to put a mop on my head and like a dummy I expected to pay 4000+ to place a wig over my head that didn't even match my natural hair (due to the fact I'm black). Overall I was disappointed with hair club and just shaved my head bald and went back to school to graduate.

This is something I had struggled greatly with, because I don't think my hair is receding but I think I was born with a receding hair line (if that makes sense) because I have family and siblings and no has my hairline at all! Like for the past 2 years I have been wearing hats in public because I am scared of showing people my hairline again

Right now I am currently growing dreads so I can hide my hairline when it grows out.

To be honest, this is my first time talking to people in a forum about my hair line, I am hoping that I can get help on this forum and how I can grow hair in bald areas so I can have a hairline like normal people my age.

Thank you all for reading.

5b32e88d6fc1a_image(1).jpg.19635a69b681354376fbe7c36eafd2b4.jpg

image.jpg.cff9c62fe0c4ba4f491bd9343e765e8f.jpg

Edited by Livinglife123

You are very young to consider a transplant firstly try to stabilise your loss with meds research propecia and make a decision regarding that,there are potential side effects so be vigilant in your research. I'm really sorry to hear you feel so down and I can totally relate to that as iv been there too!! If you suit a shaved head and can grow a beard of suggest trying that first! If you can stabilise your hair then possibly look into having work done but only then and only after researching various techniques available and Dr's who perform at consistently high levels!! I also suggest not Brading your hair as that will put stress on it and definitely won't help in preserving what you've got!! Good luck with it all mate as I know how hair loss cam make you feel!!

Hey there!

Well first of all, don't despair, it's going to be ok, I mean that. I started losing my hair at 19 and a few people called me out on it and it decimated my confidence, but confidence is simply a state of mind! No one is going to live your life for you so you have to make the most of every day, I didn't do this and I regret it greatly.

Fast forward 12 years and I am still losing my hair, just very slowly. I got on Propecia early on and it has essentially bought me a ton of time. It not too much further gone than when I first noticed it. I am married and have a great job, life can be good- you just need to let it be.

My advice for you is get on Propecia once you have read up on (rare) possible side effects. Then if you want a chance of regrowth, you need to get on rogaine. Give it time and enjoy your life.

James

First off, sorry to hear about how you're feeling. I can guarantee you that you are not alone. Nearly everyone on this forum has probably gone through some form depression as a result of our hair loss. But there is always light at the end of the tunnel. There are many things you can do right now to slow down and even improve your condition. You are very yound and I can tell you from my own experience, should not be considering a hair transplant at this time. I was about 22-23 when I underwent a small procedrue to my hairline and it was the worst mistake of my life becuase even though you had a HT, you continue to loose your hair progressively and are always playing catch up.

As some here have already told you, look into medications such as Propecia - see a doctor about whether its a good medication for you. Also consider Rogaine, here in the US its puchased over the counter and there are less expensive generic options as well in liquid or foam form.

There are a host of vitamins & supplements you should look into - Vitamin E, Saw Palmetto, Biotin, Folic Acid, Glucosamine & Chondrotin with MSM.

Good shampoos for regrowth - look into Regenpure DR and NR.

And lastly, as another forum member commented, I would not braid your hair as well as this puts alot of stress on your hair and may inhibit good healthy growth. I would say keep a nice short hair cut.

Best of luck to you, and don't despair, you are not just hair! Of course it can be a confidence booster or downer but you can control some things and there are some that you can't. Work on the things you can control and don't worry about what you can't. Keep reading on this forum as it does provide great support and when or if you reach an age that a HT is the way to go, then it can be a great resource.