Shiseido (Replicel) - Treatment or Cure?

hope10

Hi.

I'm sorry if this question was posted already, but it don't seem to understand if the new RCH-01 is a treatment that will help you maintain what you already have or a cure that will help even advanced norwoods to achieve regrowth?

Thanks!

The truth is nobody really knows, not even the company themselves. The early trials have been interesting but not spectacular, but a Phase II trial is needed to really get a sense of how well it works.

Replicel/Shiseido have been talking up the product as being a potential complete solution for hairloss, but it's important to note a few things:

First, it's too early to truly say. The data just isn't there and won't be until a proper Phase II trial is underway.

Second, all companies talk up their products, particularly in the R&D stage, when investment and partnership opportunities are being sought and shareholders need to be kept engaged and satisfied.

Judging from the limited Phase I information available, and a general understanding of how complex androgenetic alopecia is, my instinct is this will almost certainly not be a cure. It may help keep what is there and possibly introduce some regrowth or thickening of thinning hair - but I don't think NW7s will become NW1s anytime soon. That having been said, we really don't know. Something amazing could happen - but science usually progresses by baby steps and not giant leaps. Worst case scenario is the Phase II results are underwhelming and it doesn't even look as good as minoxidil or Propecia. I think the most realistic "best case" is that it is a safer, slightly more effective and cost-efficient treatment than any currently available treatments.

• 1 year later...

Obviously good to see that Sheisedo is progressing with Phase 2 in Japan but to get this treatment approved in the West it is going to need a successful Phase 3 and submission to the FDA.

Seriously, if this product was that good wouldn't Replicel be progressing with their own trials to fast track this? The latest excuse is a lack of funds but if the product was that good I just can't see any issues with a lack of funds. There is a huge financial prize at the end for a successful treatment.

Thoughts?