New grafts growing (stubble) after FUT

Hello all,

I had a HT with Dr Rahal in June and i'm 9 weeks post op - I've noticed in the past two weeks tiny hair popping out of the recipient area a bit like beard stubble, much thicker than the surrounding hair in the recipient area as well. Is this too early to think that this may be the new grafts or will it be the native hair growing? I must mention that my native hair have grown a considerable length since the ht but these tiny hair are much smaller. So not sure if this is the uneven native hair or new grafts.

I notice about 60-80 of these new hair growing when I touch the recipient area. I had 3581 grafts implanted by dr Rahal.

Also, at what point does one know that most if not all of the implanted grafts have actually grown after a HT?

Let me know what your thoughts are please.

Thanks

xabi86,

If the new growth is of thicker caliber (hair shaft diameter) and even more pronounced in color, then those are probably the new grafts growing through your recipient area.

Yes, both the native hair along with the transplanted hair will come through the scalp. If your native existing hair was more diffused, then you should notice a difference between your regrown native hair and the "new grafts" growing in. This is probably what you are seeing and feeling (stubble).

On average it takes roughly 3-4 months post-op for the new growth to come through the scalp however you may an early bloomer so-to-speak.

It really takes up to 12-14 months post-op to fairly judge the final results of any procedure. Yet even at 6 months post-op, you should be seeing lots of growth from all of those grafts.

Congrats an your recent procedure xabi86 and keep us posted on your progress...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for your response gillenator. I already have a thread going under the Surgeon Reviews sections, if you want to follow :)

I just can't wait for the four month mark - these two months have been tough as one keeps thinking that will the grafts grow or not/how many have didn't survive etc,