Going for Round 2 (FUT)

Paulygon

Hi All,

I haven't posted in a long time because thankfully, hair hadn't been a big concern for a while.

But I just want to share what's going on currently. I recently had a visit with Dr. Parsa Mohebi to discuss a second round maintenance procedure, in which Dr. Mohebi will add about 1800 grafts via FUT (strip procedure). 1200 will go to the crown and 400 will go to the mid/frontal region.

+1200 to crown: If you look at my pics (attached) you will see that my crown region has major thinning and the scalp is visible (although I cover this with a "strategic haircut" which is essentially a combover). It had been in our long-term plan to eventually add hair to the crown since the Dr. did not add anything to it in the first procedure (because the hairline had to be completely built and was a priority).

+400 to the mid/frontal region: this will add some density and give me more styling options.

Check out the pics and please let me know if you have any recommendations.

My hair is longer than usual and not styled in these pics.. usually with a bit of work it looks better than in these photos but hopefully with some more hair, less work will be required in order to style it.

upload1.jpg.a575532d3d2af69082b6e78132d3b861.jpg

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Congrats, Pauly!

Seems like a sound plan. I'm glad you're dedicating a good amount of grafts to the crown. If you're going to attempt a crown restoration, this is the way to do it. It takes a shocking amount of grafts to really restore a crown. A little thickening in the frontal/midscalp sounds pretty standard too.

You should be completely restored after this. I hope you'll keep us updated!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Congrats, Pauly!

Seems like a sound plan. I'm glad you're dedicating a good amount of grafts to the crown. If you're going to attempt a crown restoration, this is the way to do it. It takes a shocking amount of grafts to really restore a crown. A little thickening in the frontal/midscalp sounds pretty standard too.

You should be completely restored after this. I hope you'll keep us updated!

Hi Blake! Good to hear from you after I've had such a long absence from this forum-- it is so cool to see that you are officially a hair transplant surgeon; and your photo is awesome.

Anyway, I like how you put it: "It takes a shocking amount of grafts to really restore a crown". Ya it is painful to think that 1200 grafts are going to the crown when they could be going to lower my hairline.. oh well :/ I happily accept a mature hairline over being NW5.

You mentioned that I should be completely restored after this. The plan from day 1 with Dr. Mohebi was 2 procedures for sure (even though I didn't think I would get by with a 3 year gap between FUT1 and FUT2).

If I recall correctly from my first procedure (FUT1), my surgeon measured my scalp laxity and determined that I could potentially have about 4-5 FUT's (strips removed) procedures done, over my lifetime.

But after looking at my pics, you're thinking that FUT2 could be the final procedure? Or do you have any thoughts on what kind of surgical maintenance I should be expecting over the course of my lifetime? (ie.. FUE or FUT in 5 years, 8 years, etc)

(It did not occur to me to ask my doctor these when we met, plus I am interested in your thoughts)

My regimen includes:

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Hi Pauly,

Thanks for the kind words!

Very difficult to tell precisely how many procedures you would need. Don't you just love that answer? Haha.

I think you'd be quite restored after FUT #2. However, "restored" is a pretty subjective term. What is "restored" to one patient may be just the bare minimum for another.

The good thing, however, is that you have the donor -- according to the good doc. This means you can really get all the necessary "foundation" work done, and then go back in and fill/perfect as you see necessary.

I usually think 3-4 strips is the limit before guys are "stripped out." Obviously, it does depend on things like scalp laxity, scar healing, et cetera. But this is generally where I feel like most guys land.

But most also still have good donor hair left after 3-4 strip procedures. However, you can't steal it with another strip. This is when you go in and take it with a non-strip technique (FUE, mFUE, etc).

Seems like you have the donor for maintenance through "stripping out" and then stealing more with non-strip techniques. Good way to maximize your grafts, and a good position to be in!

Keep us updated. And tell Dr Mohebi hi for me!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Paulygon: how did your scar heal up? Can we see a photo of it?

This is a 6 month post-op photo. Does it help?

The other hairs cover the scar so you can't see anything. If you tell me how to take the photo I can try to get you something better. But at present (36 months post-op), it pretty much looks the same as this photo (6 months post-op)

If I try to search for the scar with my fingers, I can feel about a thumb-print sized raised scar that feels like a big pimple. I've had some people run their hands through my hair without noticing anything tho ;)

5b32e824e64fe_6monthpostop.jpg.59c8769bc528875c7a9ade48a70be278.jpg

My regimen includes: