has zinc supplement destroyed my hair?

sheraz104

I have used zinc supplement for about 25 days. During the first week of taking zinc I experienced oily scalp and face and then into 2nd week I saw my seborrheic dermatitis worsening with thinning of hair all over the top. Is it really the oiliness and dandruff brought on by zinc wrecking havoc on my hair?. I was already on Fin and Min.

Hi sheraz104

Sorry to hear of your situation. Are you taking zinc supplements on a doctor's advice? Not sure of the dosages you take but this mineral can antagonise others in that it can deplete other minerals so usually Doctor Bisanga will say worth taking with other minerals unless otherwise told and not in high dosages for a length of time to avoid issues.

I always take it in synergy with other minerals and not high dosage and also try to get in food naturally.

Not sure if this has caused the issues you explain but worth just checking with whomever you bought it from or who suggested it regarding dosages, frequency and how taken just to make sure all is okay for you.

Hope you resolve the issue.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Sheraz,

Have you seen a doctor about the seborrheic dermatitis (SD) before? I've read literature about zinc being associated with hypothyroidism and diffuse alopecia because of this. However, I haven't seen much about zinc actually causing hair loss. In fact, many recommend it as a supplement for healthy hair growth. But because you have another scalp condition, the SD, it's probably a good idea to see the doctor who has treated your scalp in the past.

Good luck! I hope you'll keep us updated.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

The derm who me recommended me zinc supplement is in another country. So, I can't visit her anytime soon. I went to her for treating SD and I told her that I'm on Fin. I'm not sure why did she recommend me to use zinc.

After searching extensively on internet I have come to know that Zinc increased my testosterone and 5-AR activity of Fin was not enough to keep additional testosterone from converting to DHT and hence hair loss(progression of Genetic Balding). I still didn't understand the accurate mechanism as the info on zinc on the internet is so conflicting.

The symptoms that I noted while on zinc are:

- Extremely oily scalp and face skin

- Dramatic increase in libido

-Worsening of SD

I don't know what to conclude from this. I'm thinking of switching to DUT if the damage can be reversed.

I have used zinc supplement for about 25 days. During the first week of taking zinc I experienced oily scalp and face and then into 2nd week I saw my seborrheic dermatitis worsening with thinning of hair all over the top. Is it really the oiliness and dandruff brought on by zinc wrecking havoc on my hair?. I was already on Fin and Min.

What dosage of Zinc are you taking daily?

100mg/day for the first 10 days then 50mg/day for the next 15 days.

Four weeks ago I started a Zinc supplement. I read the max safe limit is 50mg per day.

Anything over can have negative effects on your hair etc.

I'm taking 50mg Zinc Picolinate and Copper 2mg just to off set any copper my body may lose by taking a high Zinc dose.

I have experienced big increase in libido.

But in just four weeks my hair has thickened up quite abit.

Just to say, four years ago, I got a bad dose of stress related Telogen Effluvium. My hair has never fully recovered including body hair. I tried a supplement a couple of years ago called Viviscal for a year, very, very expensive and got slight improvement in hair quality.

I'm four weeks on Zinc 50mg and my hair including my body/chest hair is darker and thicker and better thus far, than what a year on Viviscal achieved two years ago.

Perhaps the 100mg dose you took initially has played havoc with you but so far, four weeks in, Zinc 50mg each day is doing quite well for me.

Can you post the link where you read that anything over 50mg/day is detrimental to hair?

Just want to know why 50mg/day grows hair while 100mg/day halts it. Is it because of testosterone boost or potential deficiency of copper. Are my hair going to grow back?