Aloe Vera is drying my scalp?

Hi guys

I had a HT and I'm almost 4 weeks pre-op now. The recipient area is still pretty red and the assistant wrote back to me that I could use Aloe Vera 3 weeks after the operation. So I've been using Aloe Vera for some days now, but my scalp gets really dry when using it. It kind of creates a thin layer over the recipient area and I'm starting to worry about the effectiveness of it? I'm wondering if it's healthy and if my skin can breath beneath it?

I hope some can clarify this because my skin doesn't get moisturized at all besides the few minutes after being applied.

Edited by TMNK
Spelling mistake

I would go with vitamin E... I used/ and am using aloe for my FUE donor area without any issues BUT you need to be careful when buying Aloe.. You need to make sure you are getting 98% or higher aloe.. A LOT of the over the counter stuff are literally chemicals and a bit of aloe.... Some also contain Propylene Glycol which can irritate your scalp. You best bet is to use Vit E/any natural oils, or buy an Aloe plan and use it straight from there... HTH

Spidey is absolutely right in that many products contain other inactive ingredients such as alcohol based additives that can dry out the scalp. It always pays to read the labeling on these products.

TMNK, you might also additionally try an aloe rich based shampoo for your scalp that is not a cream but something that won't be as thick and rich.

Congrats on your recent procedure...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks guys :) Actually my Aloe Vera is 98% pure organic cream, so I guess it should be the right thing. But I'll try some Vitamin E too, but how do you consume that? Do you take a lot of pills/fish oil tablets? or do you just eat a lot of fish, almonds etc.? anything else?

Btw I'm actually using an Aloe Vera shampoo too. To my surprise I saw that my girlfriend had it, so I kind of took it from her now :P

Usually the recommendation for vitamin E would be the actual oil that is applied to the area.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Would that help against the redness or just the dry skin?

Just the dry skin but also will help with healing the scalp tissue.

The drawback is that the oil can also temporarily increase the visual redness.

Gillenator

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. Do you think using my Aloe Vera is stupid because of the dry effect it has on my skin? I assume my skin can't breath probably. Because I can survive the dry skin, but I want my grafts to breath as much as possible too.

Believe it or not, we all respond differently to these products although aloe vera is herbal based and not a chemical ingredient. Still, there can be minor and even major differences in how we all respond. I still think it's probably more related to some of the other additives in the product that you were using. So if it were me, I would search for something that had very little to no other additives, especially chemical additives.

Using the shampoo and even an aloe rich creme rinse will do the trick. The key is to allow is to sit on your scalp for an adequate period and then to be sure you rinse it off well.

The aloe vera will absorb into your scalp tissue so rinsing it off won't dispel the effects from your scalp.

You don't have to use it long term IMHO, just long enough to help heal your scalp.

Gillenator