Swelling just above donor scar

I am three week post fut with a good doc and I have some swelling just above the donor scar on both temples closer to the back of my head, is this normal for three weeks out?

Has anyone else gotten this? My doctor said its okay and let him know how it is in a week, but I have done some reading on the internet about hematoma so now I am concerned.

blanc1,

The temple points are normally towards the frontal zone so you must mean above and slightly behind your ears?

The swelling is not abnormal unless it is profuse and extremely painful. The swelling is usually associated with post-op inflammation from the large and long incision that harvested the strip specimen.

Did you apply ice to it? At three weeks post-op, ice may not be as effective as when it is the first week post-op. But you can always try it alternating on and off for 10 minute intervals.

Passing of time should eventually resolve this for you as well...hang in there...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

blanc 1 -- I just underwent an FUSS 7 months ago . Around week 2 I also had a little inflammation near the same spot where you are having trouble. I consulted with Dr Ron Shapiro , my surgeon, and he told me that that area (right behind the ears) is the highest tension point across the entire scar length and hence more prone to things like this .

Anyways, I was told to apply some anti bacterial ointment and keep the area extra clean which I did . The inflammation gradually subsided over the following few weeks, but the ridge like appearance remained for a good 3 months before it flattened out. And now , that is the part of the the scar that is the widest . I am consulting with Dr Shapiro on ways to fix it but we want to give it a little more time to continue heal itself first.

Bottomline --- do take it seriously, and follow your doctor's instructions to the letter. I hope your complication is not as serous as mine.

Edited by fortune11
style edits

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just to be clear, how profuse do you mean? I can feel a ridge where the lump begins, it is slightly less I believe but I want to sure this isnt something I should be concerned about

Profuse meaning unusually protruding or bunched, even abnormally raised with acute inflammation. This would also be associated with acute pain.

Does not sound like anything you have...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY