How to know when your hair stabilizes?

Hi,

My hair's been thinning in recent years. I'm 32 and I'd say I'm barely a NW2 and I'm getting nervous about my hair line.

I was reading here on the forums that you shouldn't look into getting a HT until your hair stabilizes. How do you know when that's the case? Also, during further reading, people talking about taking Propecia after getting their HT. Is that absolutely necessary? I've read horror stories about that stuff, and if I were to go ahead with a HT I don't think I would want to take it.

I think stabilising, is knowing what your pattern of baldness is going to be. I. e, if all your brothers/dads/uncles etc were norwood 6 at 30, chances are, but not always, you'll be the same.

That helps when planning your ht and looking at the availability of donor hair for future loss. No point in going for a really low hairline, then running out of donor options at a later date.

The meds slow down or stabilise the progression.

Personally, i'm not keen on taking finasteride, but might give it a go to see if i'm a person who gets sides.

Even though your 32 you proberly going to loose more hair. Maybe it may slow down to a certain degree but MPB is progressive nomatter what you do Meds may slow it down & buy you some good yrs

Having a HT won't cure your problem niether but solid donor folicals will fill in what you lost.

Medication what you mention in your post could work well & a lot of guys don't get any sides & little don't,

Taking Medication could & do slow MPB down & there is only 2 FDA approved drugs which does that & 1 you mention the other is rogain / Min.

Its your call if you want to at least try maybe start off on small dose say 1.25mg Per a wk leave that run for say a month then take same dose 3 times a wk.

FYI....Fin takes time & will take upto 1yr min before you may see or feel a difference & after that this would give you a good idea if you have stopped shedding as before.

Some people get some thicken of hair, or a reverse of thinning hair but some don't see nothing & think its not working & trash there Medication which is wrong because the chances are that it is working for you but your not seeing any gains, what its doing is slowing things down to a snail pace & that is a bonus

Because if you don't do nothing your hair loss will still happen but happen faster.

Hope I made some sense to you....take your time, don't be spooked to much what you read but its a personal choice only you can decide.

Have a good read up on this forum & others, speak with HT Drs then go from there.

Good lucky buddy.

ontop is spot on!...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

ontop is spot on!...;)

Thank you Sir?

I do try to give the bigger picture & the pro & cons & let's face it there is a lot of them with conflicting statements.

As a MPB guy myself I try to get as much info I can, where I can & weigh everything up.

Then I guess you make your own bed so to speak.

Edited by ontop
edit typo

Well I must say ontop, it's so nice to see guys like who are knowledgeable and "genuine" in helping others who suffer with hair loss.

And you're absolutely right in that seeking resolve can be challenging in such a maze of information with some of it self seeking and not in the best interest of the patients.

So I commend you in serving others with your sound advice and direction to those who are not as well informed.

Take care my good friend...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY