sun exposure and graft survival

Hi,

So at approximately one month after a HT, I was sat in a conservatory for about 1hour 30 minutes. I never even considered sun could penetrate through the glass, so I didn't wear a hat - my scalp was completely exposed. The glass was double. Normally I wouldn't think it would pose a problem but I happen to read something on this forum where someone stated you need to keep a hat on if under glass. Is this conclusive or is the jury out?

The sun was shining on that day but it was't too strong (24degrees celsius), but inside the conservatory it was warm.

Could this damage graft survival?

I would have worn a hat had I known then what I know now!

Is the temperature also important. When it is 100 F out here and wearing a cap. I am sure it would be warm under the cap. Is it temperature or the sun rays that are detrimental?! Could someone enlighten...

Its much more likely to damage the grafted skin area as opposed to the grafts themselves.

Thanks. Before I posted my question I did a bit of research and found an old forum where doctors like doctor Feller et al posted and they were generally stating the same thing, that sun damages the skin rather than the grafts.

I covered up from sun rays for 6 months after each of my Hts. And to be honest even after you dont really want to be exposing any skin to strong sun light !

True. Only became concerned after I read someone on here was worried after being under glass. I started to envisage the hair transplant being for nothing and all the hair frizzling away in the sun

I covered up from sun rays for 6 months after each of my Hts. And to be honest even after you dont really want to be exposing any skin to strong sun light !

Did you also cover up under glass (conservatory, greenhouse, car etc)?

Just reading this thread now and getting really scared!

[Link removed by moderator]

After the info I've found in this thread, I can say that I've just inspected my recipient and there doesn't appear to be any small white dots surrounded by more tanned skin. Could I deduce from this that the sun didn't affect my grafts?

Also, my recipient is still red, but doesn't appear to be more red (I've also compared photos before and after the time sitting in the conservatory).

I've also read that glass stops UVB but not UVA. Which is the most harmful to the grafts?

Edited by David - Moderator

Graft survival is dependent on the transplanted follicles getting established to a new source of blood supply. Without that occurring, whether from damage from UVA or not, they will perish.

So the risk of UVA rays is the potential of sun burn and/or exposure beneath the outer layer of scalp tissue and damaging both the graft tissue as well as the underlying follicles.

My understanding is that the healing process in the deeper layers of scalp (dermis) are slower than the epidermis outer layer.

This is why wearing a cap or hat that fully covers the recipient area is recommended when exposed to the UVA rays for more than 10 minutes in duration. The higher the UVA rating implies a quicker burn ratio yet a full cover with a cap/hat prevents this potential damage from occurring.

Most docs will want their patients to avoid direct exposure to UVA rays for at least 3 months post-op, some feel 6 months and still others 9 months.

I believe this is due to giving the transplanted follicles enough time to fulfill a complete resting cycle and enough time for all of the follicles to manifest into an ongoing growth cycle that produces full regrowth of the hair shafts.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Graft survival is dependent on the transplanted follicles getting established to a new source of blood supply. Without that occurring, whether from damage from UVA or not, they will perish.

So the risk of UVA rays is the potential of sun burn and/or exposure beneath the outer layer of scalp tissue and damaging both the graft tissue as well as the underlying follicles.

My understanding is that the healing process in the deeper layers of scalp (dermis) are slower than the epidermis outer layer.

This is why wearing a cap or hat that fully covers the recipient area is recommended when exposed to the UVA rays for more than 10 minutes in duration. The higher the UVA rating implies a quicker burn ratio yet a full cover with a cap/hat prevents this potential damage from occurring.

Most docs will want their patients to avoid direct exposure to UVA rays for at least 3 months post-op, some feel 6 months and still others 9 months.

I believe this is due to giving the transplanted follicles enough time to fulfill a complete resting cycle and enough time for all of the follicles to manifest into an ongoing growth cycle that produces full regrowth of the hair shafts.

Looks like I may have damaged my grafts then. Wish I could start over again. I've been so careful with everything else. I was indoors so it just didn't register. :(

Looks like I may have damaged my grafts then. Wish I could start over again. I've been so careful with everything else. I was indoors so it just didn't register. :(

I wouldn't automatically jump to that conclusion, to be honest. First of all, I would advise you call your doctor to get his opinion. He'll also potentially be able to evaluate you and monitor any potential damage that may have been caused.

However, the main question I would have is if you actually got a sunburn on your scalp, as that's where I believe the biggest danger lies as far as the survival of the grafts goes in relation to sun exposure. While it would've been ideal for you to have your head covered and/or wear sunscreen, given all the other circumstances (the fairly moderate temperature, the double pane glass) I think there's a very good chance that your grafts are just fine.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about it either way now, so don't add any additional stress to your life and beat yourself up over it. My gut says that you're most likely fine, but that's something that could only be determined with an evaluation. Try not to assume the absolute worst and see if you're doctor can evaluate you. In the meantime, do what you can to not stress about it and wait it out....

Hoping for an unbelievable amount of growth for you. :)

When was your procedure, btw? And how long ago did this happen?

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I wouldn't automatically jump to that conclusion, to be honest. First of all, I would advise you call your doctor to get his opinion. He'll also potentially be able to evaluate you and monitor any potential damage that may have been caused.

However, the main question I would have is if you actually got a sunburn on your scalp, as that's where I believe the biggest danger lies as far as the survival of the grafts goes in relation to sun exposure. While it would've been ideal for you to have your head covered and/or wear sunscreen, given all the other circumstances (the fairly moderate temperature, the double pane glass) I think there's a very good chance that your grafts are just fine.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about it either way now, so don't add any additional stress to your life and beat yourself up over it. My gut says that you're most likely fine, but that's something that could only be determined with an evaluation. Try not to assume the absolute worst and see if you're doctor can evaluate you. In the meantime, do what you can to not stress about it and wait it out....

Hoping for an unbelievable amount of growth for you. :)

When was your procedure, btw? And how long ago did this happen?

Hey, thanks. I'm hopeful there hasn't been any sunburn - my skin hasn't changed colour and there is no stinging associated with sunburn (I've had sunburn in the past as many people have so I'm familiar with the symptoms). Since this concern, I've read the UVA rays that are able to penetrate glass are used by sun tanning lamps/beds, so a sign UVA rays have had an impact are the changes in skin colour. As I haven't experienced this on my head I'm hopeful that no damage was done.

I'm just over five weeks since the transplant and the potential sun exposure happened at pretty much the five week mark.

secondtryuser,

Yes I concur not to jump to any conclusions that you did in fact damage your grafts.

Much of what is recommended is for prevention and not a direct confirmation that your grafts are toast. There was insightful information provided by the doctor who posted in the link you provided.

If you did not sustain a sunburn, that in itself is more promising than if you were outside in the direct rays and did experience sunburn in the recipient area.

So I would just give it time and you may very well see a nice result...;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Thanks. Just to inform you, my doctor thinks it's highly unlikely any problems occurred. He said the damage caused by sun is when there is an unambiguous clear sunburn, and being under glass for a couple of hours, while not a perfect sunblock, shouldn't pose any risk to the grafts.

I also did more searching and found on the UK cancer website that if under glass, skin damage is caused by perpetual long term build up. Obviously this is in reference to skin cancer, but I'm taking from this that a couple of hours max in a conservatory doesn't cause the skin much if any harm.

I'll update in 6 months!

Thanks. Just to inform you, my doctor thinks it's highly unlikely any problems occurred. He said the damage caused by sun is when there is an unambiguous clear sunburn, and being under glass for a couple of hours, while not a perfect sunblock, shouldn't pose any risk to the grafts.

I also did more searching and found on the UK cancer website that if under glass, skin damage is caused by perpetual long term build up. Obviously this is in reference to skin cancer, but I'm taking from this that a couple of hours max in a conservatory doesn't cause the skin much if any harm.

I'll update in 6 months!

Good to hear man. Without the sunburn, I really do think you're in the clear. So just remember now to be extra cautious going forward and you'll be fine.

And just a side note of advice: Try not to focus on the status of your hair for the next couple of months. It's easy for us to drive ourselves crazy while we wait on it to grow. The less you obsess about it, the quicker the time will go by.... And then you'll start seeing the hairs grow in before you know it and be (hopefully) on your way to a full head of hair. :cool:

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

STU,

On a side note, you may have also benefitted from some vitamin D...;)

Gillenator