Donor Area Max Until Stripped or Punched Out

I've had one FUT HT of 1700 grafts on 5/ 13. I'm 56 years old and looking to have 3000+ more (FUT) for round 2. I then plan to grow old gracefully (no more HT)

I've read the average donor area has around 6000 grafts. If that is a close estimate I should have about 1300 grafts (Recent photo of donor area below.) just in case I decide to go for round 3 ?

Back.jpg.f3ad7f1dd7e6c19c3eb494eca32b3d12.jpg

MrMatt,

The 6,000 figure that you are referring to is approximately the average number of "harvestable" FUHT grafts for an average level of donor density. Obviously this will vary between individuals. The only way to know your own donor density is to have it evaluated and calculated by a reputable surgeon.

There are other factors that can impact the numbers such as how your scar heals, future scalp elasticity, whether you have FUHT or FUE, and the skill of the surgeon.

You do appear to have good hair quality regarding the degree of coarseness to your hair and you do not appear to have a diffused thinning pattern.

Are your grafts going in the frontal zone or are you wanting to restore the area in your crown?

You will undoubtedly experience further loss in your crown as the years go by. Crown loss can demand as much as 60% of one's available scalp donor which is significant so careful and prudent management of our limited donor is critical.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Gil is right but I think the average is higher with 6500 grafts being on the low end and up to 8500 grafts on the high end. Averages being what they are there are cases where much more can be taken and of course much less due to extremes (plus or minus) of characteristics.

Doctor skill absolutely has a major role on this too as some doctors recognize how to take wider strips than others with a higher degree of skill and with almost zero transection. Of course, on the flip side, even the best of strip surgeons can have patients with wide scars when getting a lot of hair.

Regardless, you most likely have an easy 3000 left and more for subsequent surgeries if you so choose.

Are your grafts going in the frontal zone or are you wanting to restore the area in your crown?

Both, I plan to lower my hairline a tad & fill the crown. 3 to 4000 grafts was the online estimate from 3 different HT doctors. Judging by the yield & coverage of my past 1700 graft procedure I believe that estimate will get me the results I looking for.

Front.jpg.ab3471ff54011c95e0ae3e33ec429599.jpg

Top.jpg.a705d959569385c7e8b1099a1a5d600a.jpg

The front view photo was helpful. Obviously an adequate number of the grafts will be used to fill in the temporal recession areas to blend in with the front forelock.

As those temporal areas are brought forward, a fair number of single hair grafts will be necessary at the base of where everything blends in, and if you plan to lower your existing hairline a little bit, then even more single hair grafts will be needed.

So you may find that your estimate will be higher towards the 4,000 mark and maybe a tad bit higher if you are filling in the crown.

Another consideration would be to maintain the level of density in your crown at 40 FU cm2 or lower so it does not look barren but yet you would be wisely managing your donor reserves as you need more work in the future.

Because MPB is progressive over a lifetime, your temporal zones can recede further and the crown can open up to a wider zone of loss. You would not want to be left with an island of hair where the grafts are presently going to be placed and then have a ring of thinning all around those grafts in the years ahead.

Are you taking low dose finasteride? That can potentially keep your crown from expanding with more loss.

Let us know how everything turns out because I think you are going to like your final result from this upcoming procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY