The variety of descriptions for what shedded hair should look like

Hi....so I've been doing a lot of searching in the forum and found lots of threads for guys concerned during the shedding phases due to the physical appearance of shedded hair. I myself am going through that phase now!

Lots of different descriptions as to what the shedded hair looks like:

Straight normal hair

Hair with a kink; L shaped

Hair with a small black bulb at the end

Hair with a small white bulb at the end

Straight hair but where a proportion of it is covered in skin (maybe half of it)

The advice seems to be on this forum, don't worry so long as there is no bleeding. Grafts haven't been lost, just the hair, and it does indeed come out in all sorts of weird shapes.

Can people confirm this interpretation is correct? Are there any specific shapes that are worrying? Is it as simple as:

No blood=no worry ?

Thanks guys

There are countless threads started on this topic that usually end the same way - nary a graft lost and all's well. Relax and enjoy the journey.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I know there are countless other threads, as acknowledged in my original post. The point of this thread is to bring them all together and get an answer for all the different shapes rather than, as you say, having countless threads dependent upon the shape of the hair being shed.

It would be good to have one resource where guys could come to and this thread could be the definitive shedding hair and worrying thread.

Any other guys want to share their thoughts?

Edited by justgotfue

I know there are countless other threads, as acknowledged in my original post. The point of this thread is to bring them all together and get an answer for all the different shapes rather than, as you say, having countless threads dependent upon the shape of the hair being shed.

It would be good to have one resource where guys could come to and this thread could be the definitive shedding hair and worrying tread.

There is the Bernstein study for graft anchorage(google it), where it says that, at 9 days post-op, even if you pull the scab out(or the hair) the graft cannot be dislodged.

This study pretty much ends the discussion, and we can discard all the subjective thoughts and exagerate worries of various people.

It says 9 days, okay? If you're over-cautious, simply just don't touch the grafts at all these 9 days(only pour water/shampoo/etc) and everything should be excellent.

At 20 days, like your case, the grafts are firmly into place, you couldn't take them out even if you wanted to. At this time you only could damage them if you cut them out with a knife, i think. Even if you hit your head, at this time, they should be completely fine.

By the way, the shape of the hair being shed doesn't matter, it is no point in analyzing it, that only depends on the individual people hair characteristics.

• 1 month later...

It would be good to have one resource where guys could come to and this thread could be the definitive shedding hair and worrying tread.

Hi justgotfue,

The study that dreamermerlin was referring to is on the Bernstein Medical website along with a video showing results of the study. Grafts are secure at 9 days post-op. Here are links to the video and original study:

Video: Graft Anchoring After Hair Transplant Study | Bernstein Medical

Graft Anchoring in Hair Transplant Surgery (2006) | Bernstein Medical

Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

Schedule a consultation HERE to request a graft estimate and quote.

Follow us on InstagramFacebookTwitter, and YouTube

The health and safety of our patients and staff is our top priority. For a more detailed look at our safety measures, click here. 

Got questions? Call us at 212-826-2400 

Dr. Bernstein is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians