Pics of me before any work done.

frosty

Hi Frosty--how old are you and are you on any meds?

You still have a nice amount of hair--- depending on your age you could add some density behind the hairline/temples---but it should be strategic and with long-term in mind.

Once I get the information from you I can comment further.

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hi B, I am 35 turning 36 in August.

I have been receding slowly for the past ten years, I was on meds but have found a better option for myself using spectral DNC-L, plus Revita shampoo.

I have been using it for the last year and a half and it has ceased any further loss; with some growth.

Click on the picture above for more pics, i have no hair in the temple area icon_frown.gif I would really love a hairline again.

How many grafts do you think I would need to restore the hair line with good density??

In the last pic in the album above you can see how far it has gone, pretty thin in the vertex(is that the right word?)area.

Frosty, your hair loss pattern seems very similar to mine before I had my HT. Check my blog for my "before" pics if you want further insight.

I think, in order to re-establish a hairline and fill in the temples, you'd be looking at anywhere between 3000 - 4000 grafts. That seems like a nice amount to provide adequate coverage/density while still keeping an ample supply in the donor area for future need. Of course, the exact number of grafts will vary, depending on your individual goals, desired density, and the size of your wallet!

Have you had any online consults with any of the top doctors recommended by this site yet? If so, what did they suggest?

Thanks Mane, looking at your blog has increased my confidence in HT. Unlike you my self confidence has hit an all time low, you have restored some of that confidence and I will watch your progress closely. Thanks for your blog.

I have consulted Dr Martinick who stated 1500 grafts would produce a significant result, after reading the posts here and reviewing the pics of her work I am not so sure.

I will consult Dr. Pathomvanich, Dr. Rahal, Dr. Shapiro and a few others before deciding. I think around 2500 grafts/ 6000 hairs seems about right for the density I am looking for.

I could do with a hoilday.. icon_smile.gif

Hey Frosty--- if you could send me your pics to jason@shapiromedical.com ---

I need to see your face and where your hairline is in relationship to your eyebrows and I also need a better idea of exactly how deep your temple recession is.

Now that I know your age, we can be more aggressive in approach, something 2000-3000 grafts is likely acceptable, but until I run the pics past Dr. Ron I do not know.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys, I am so glad I found this forum. Just talking about solutions has made myself feel a lot better.

Hi 'B', I updated the Album with where my hairline use to be, I'll send some pics to your e-mail account as well. The hairline is number one issue, the vertex has thinned but is stabilized and would like it filled in.

Hi Emperor, Thanks for the suggestion. I do want density, do you think 4500 will do the hairline and thinning vertex?? I wish one solid session of HT with the best in the business. I do not mind paying for quality and do not care if I have to fly for a whole day to get there.

I like the work of Dr. Pathomvanich and Dr.Wong, they seem to excel in this field. Not to put any other Dr. down, I am still researching them all.

frosty,

I apologize that the virtual consults don't seem to be working at the moment. We recently updated our security and I believe accidentally blocked some of the legitimate scripts from running.

I've put in a note to our webmaster to fix this ASAP.

In the meantime, feel free to contact our recommended physicians by viewing their profiles and emailing or calling them.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi Frosty--took a look at the pics--- I will run them by Dr. Shapiro to see what he says. Given your age and level of loss, we could be a bit more aggressive, but I am not seeing more than 3500 grafts--- I think we would concentrate on building out your temples/the area behind the forelock/the hairline--then go back into the vertex to accentuate your existing hair.

You still have quite a bit of native hair and regardless of whom you choose to go to, any HT work will need to be done that takes into consideration future loss as well.

Getting a HT "right" is using the proper amount of grafts to accomplish the desired result--- I can understand using more grafts like the others have suggested---but just because your 36 does not mean you will not continue to lose-- and that must be kept in mind.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Hi Bill, the virtual consults are working and I have taken advantage of them, thanks mate.

Looks like between 3000 to 3500 grafts are in order; still more Dr's to consult with tho! I do not want a 20 year old hairline, it would look funny when I'm 40.

I have heard that sometimes when you have a HT you can kill off some of the existing hair, is that true??

Still thinking....

Thanks again.

3k+ definitely, i have a hard time seeing 1500 giving a decent result but i'm not an expert ofcourse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Based on many previous patients, the amount of surface area and some strong hair in the frontal core. I think this patient could get his goal meet with 2500FU....3000max if he shaves the hair.

I would like to add, based on his thinning, the degree of miniaturization and the side recession there are enough signs frosty could have extensive hair loss ahead, therefore, a need to monitor his use of donor and use no more hair then necessary to meet his goals. Meds should be a must. And, some caution on building out the sides in that they may recede further and you'll be obligated in doing more work to back fill them.

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna

Frosty - you've found a good place to ask some questions but judging from the questions you are asking I would certainly encourage you to do more research so that you are comfortable with whatever you decide and fully aware of the risks. It sounds like you are doing this but it is worth repeating.

Depending on your physiology, head size, scalp laxity and hair density you could expect to have in the region of 5000-8000 total grafts available via strip. (depending on who you ask you might hear a slightly different range but I think most people agree this is the ball-park). As others have mentioned these need to cover future hair loss in a natural looking way.

There are several things you need to weigh up like is your long term aim complete coverage or density. If you lose any more hair then you can't expect to have both all over.

Hi Zup great comment, 2500 is what I am thinking. I don't mind the slightly receding look, it suits me.

The miniaturizing hair, is hair that is growing back. I simply want filling of the forelock and slight temple work done.

What worries me most is scarring of the donor area.

Thanks imissthebarber, My donor area is thick, I want a mature hairline I don't really care about crown. I think Dr. Pathomvanich is the way to go, any comments on his work and competency?

Thanks guys.