normal to have some hair thinner than others?

OK so I cannot get any final verdict on this. I'm trying to figure out if it is normal for some hair on your head to be thinner than others if you don't have MPB. I have some hair that fall out which are thinner than other hair. These thin hair are not small hair which did not fully grow, rather these are long hair that are thin. My head seems to be have stayed the same thickness overall that it was 2 years ago. So I cannot conclude whether I have MPB or not.

Basically I'm trying to figure out whether I have MPB or not and if I do, then I would include rogaine and nizoral in my hair care routine which is expensive. I would like my hair overall to get thicker as I have naturally fine hair as it is and if some hair are even thinner than others then that's a cause of concern for me.

I am already on Proscar 1/4 tablet every other day, but it did not seem to make all my hair strands have the same thickness.

I know it can take a while before you start to figure out that you are losing hair due to MPB and I want to find out as soon as possible.

ILMH,

From your description, it sounds like you are experiencing a diffused thinning pattern. This is evidenced by loss of hair shaft diameter to some or a significant amount of your hair shafts. A more simple way of stating this would be that you are simply losing hair caliber.

With a diffused thinning pattern, the individual usually does not start experiencing MPB with a recessionary pattern of losing hair shafts and/or density. It begins with a visual thinning of hair caliber and further manifested by beginning to be able to see one's scalp even though the hair shafts have not been lost.

This is called diffused loss and eventually the hair shafts become so thin in caliber that they no longer produce hair and the latter stages of diffused thinning is complete loss of those hair shafts.

Minoxidil can potentially improve hair caliber and may be the best option for the present time for those with diffused thinning. Low dose finasteride really does not improve hair shaft diameter but more of a DHT inhibitor to maintain hair density. That's what you are presently doing by quartering Proscar into very low levels of finasteride. I do the same thing cutting Proscar instead of using Propecia which is far more expensive.

The best thing to do at this point in time is to get physically examined by a reputable HT doctor to get a formal diagnosis for MPB. Then you will know for sure what you are dealing with. Many HT doctors won't charge you for the exam/consultation.

Best wishes to you in your journey...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY