Tender spots on scalp after hair transplantation

Hi, everyone. I had an FUE hair transplant of 1,100 grafts in early October 2014. Periodically, since the procedure, I have experienced tender, sore, spots in the areas where the grafts were transplanted. Seven months later, I am still experiencing them. They feel sort of like ingrown hairs (especially one that I have today), but without large pimples and whiteheads. These spots are sensitive for a few days, and then the soreness goes away. In your opinion, what might this mean? Is this a good sign, that hair is growing? Is it a sign of possible problems in the scalp?

In my opinion, my second procedure in October (my first was in October 2013) has been coming in slowly; although I have to confess that I still had a lot of hair toward the front, and the results may not be as obvious as they would have been had I been completely bald.

Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you!

Borromeo1517,

IMHO, what you are experiencing is not abnormal. It is probably related to many nerves that were severed when the recipient incisions were made and the nerve endings are now healing and growing. And yes, it can cause feelings of soreness or sensitivity to the touch and even feel like little electrical type shocks or tingling in the area. Regrowth of grafts can also cause this tingling feeling in the recipient area.

In addition, you may not feel like you are seeing density gains in the area because you may have sustained some mild shock loss. And although the area may appear thinner at the present time, it should look much better after 12 months have passed. Your new grafts will also mature in hair shaft diameter (caliber) which will definitely make a difference in visual gain of coverage.

It is perfectly normal for subsequent HT procedures to grow in a bit slower. Many are of the opinion that the blood flow to the area not being as rich as a virgin or uncompromised scalp.

Let us all know how things look after 12 months and I think you will see a difference. Obviously 1100 grafts was a smaller procedure and depending on how dense the grafts were placed in proximity to each other is going to also have an impact on visual density. So if you lost some native hair since your first procedure in the area, you may be replacing some loss but not necessarily making a significant gain in visual coverage if you know what I mean.

But better that you added some new grafts and coverage than doing nothing and wish you the best on your recent FUE procedure...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I had the same type of sensations after my surgery as well, but mine were in the donor area and subsided after the first couple months. Gillenator is correct in that it seems to just be irritated nerves, as that was what was causing mine as well. They felt like electrical shocks to my scalp almost, and it was sometimes even hard to pinpoint the exact central point of pain. The only thing I found that would help ease the pain for me was to put an ice pack on the areas that seemed to be irritated. It would numb the scalp just enough that the pain would subside and I could get some sleep, since mine seemed to be worse at night. I believe this was because my mind was quiet and I was therefore more focused on/sensitive to the discomfort.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I'm a month post op and I experienced tenderness for awhile,it seems that each passing day it dissipates and while I still have it in some small spots it's only apparent when I touch/itch the area..try not to worry to much before long you'll wake up one day and realize it's been gone for days,good luck