Does Transplanted hair affect surrounding hair?

Hi all,

I am suffering from severe hair loss for last 2 years. I had thyroid, so my doctors told me that the cause of hair loss is thyroid. But hair shedding increases even after treating thyroid. I am really upset and scared with my condition. Now I am planning for hair transplant, I had searched for advanced hair transplant techniques in Toronto and got the idea of FUT. Still, I wonder whether the transplanted hair affect surrounding hairs. Does FUT affect my surrounding hair? Please help me.

Edited by David - Moderator

Mythroment43,

I appears that you have two issues at this point. First of all, you have hair loss, possibly from thyroid disease which appears to be continuing despite treatment. Secondly, you are concerned with the possibility of shock loss after FUT.

The first issue of your underlying hair loss may not be as simple as you think. If you have not had your hair loss evaluated by a dermatologist specializing in hair or by a hair transplant surgeon, I would recommend doing so. You might actually have other causes for your hair loss. While thyroid disease is a valid concern, your physician may also want to look at your diet, recent weight loss, history of pregnancy, family history of female pattern hair loss, just to name a few. Also, depending on how long you have been on thyroid therapy, you may not yet have benefited from treatment.

The second issue of shock loss has been covered a number of times here, but still for you as all women especially, it is a concern. It can and does happen. For some women it may only be very subtle and for others a great amount of native surrounding hair may shed the first few months after surgery. For the most part, this hair does return over time. Now, some of the fine miniaturized (thinning) hair that sheds may not come back. This is hair that would have fallen out sooner or later anyway. You current history of active hair loss may or not affect how you do with shock loss. Again, derm or a hair transplant doc can help access with a good history and physical exam.