Anyone have a bad experience with finpecia?

frogger

Been on 1mg propecia for roughly 3.5 years. No problems, seemed to stop the shedding and appeared to be helping keep what I have. About 6 weeks ago, the pharmacy I normally purchase name brand propecia at switched to stocking only generic. I started receiving 'finpecia' from them as the generic alternative. About a month into taking this generic, I feel like the shedding has increased dramatically, and over the last week or so I have felt constant itching over my entire mid scalp and suspect it has started to thin further in that area. The same itching sensation I had in my crown as that was aggressively thinning before I started propecia. The only other change I have made during this time is started to take a multivitamin made specifically for hair health. Not sure what to do now. Still have 3 months supply of finpecia. Throw it away and find the name brand elsewhere? Or is that panicking too early? Anyone else have a similar experience?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The brand Propecia is too expensive for me and I haven't even tried it. I started my hair loss treatment with generic finasteride, namely Finpecia (produced by Cipla). It works good for me. I haven't suffered from side effects and the hair loss stopped after about 4-5 months of treatment.

I've been on Finpecia for coming up 2 years. I started in Nov 2010, after a good friend of mine (who had a great head of hair at 40) recomended I try taking Fin. He explained the whole concept of Propecia and how it works to me. I was very sceptical, I'd pretty worn hats for the last 3 years. I think he could see it was a sensitive subject and was telling me how over the last 4 years his hair had totally come back thanks to Fin. I must add he said he was never 'bald' he had fairly good hair, but was receeding quite badly and had the beginnings of a bald patch. Pretty much what I had. Just basically thinning hair. I'd started loosing it around 21 (i'm 27 now). Everyone keeps telling me how much healthier my hair looks and I have started going to the hair dressers and styling it again... vs wearing a cap or just shaving it all off at home. It really feels great, I don't think I'm 100% there yet, it really feels like I'm only just starting to notice a change and receiving compliments. I just hope it keeps on improving. UNfortuantely I don't have loads of before pictures as I would never allow anyone (including myself) to photograph me without a hat on. But I've found a few photos that somewhat show my progress up till the modern day. And any improvement when you're going bald is a big thing! I recently in the last few months have added MSM to my regime... whilst I don't think it cures baldness, I think it speeds up hair growth and strenghtens hair and nails. Which when new hair is coming through, definitely helps. I've holding off posting for a long time, as I've been so embarrassed about admitting loosing my hair in the first place, but I just want to encourage others to start early and as soon as you can, and it does work. When googling hairless so much bullish*t comes up, and it was only thanks to a close friend who I trusted that I did anything!