HELP 2 days post op - infection in recipient area

Hi All,

Please help I have just had approx 1600 grafts transplanted into my hairline with a recommended doc on this site. I followed his post op instructions exactly, I even woke during the night every hour to 2 hours to spray the ATP solution and have taken all the antibiotics as instructed. Rested completely, stay relaxed and followed all the pre and post op instructions religiously.

I went in to have my hair washed today but the nurses noticed some pimples. They called the doctor in and on closer inspection a number of the grafts were infected. The doctor under magnification lanced/drained them (if i had to guess maybe 20 of them), placed anti bacterial solution in them, then washed all my hair with anti bacterial wash then placed some fucidin gel on all of my hairline.

He has told me to stop using the ATP spray, taken my head band off, told me not to wear a hat or bandanna. He has given me stronger antibiotics and the fucidin gel to apply 3 times a day. He has asked me to come back in the morning at 10am for a follow up to see how the infection is.

I asked him how many grafts were infected, and I think he said "every other one". He doesn't believe this will affect the end result but he definitely seemed very worried. To be honest I'm freaking out a bit and would really like some advice? Will this affect the overall growth of my transplant? Very disappointed with the infection and to having to stop using ATP, as I heard it's a wonder product. I used it for approx the first 36hrs post op. Feeling very worried! Please help.

I feel for you and am sorry this happened.

Whenever it comes to infections everything goes silent - I guess there is simply not much knowledge on this subject. But I noticed that surgeons like to play the 'mystery infection card' whenever there's bad result. A lot of times these infections seem to be without symptoms and won't be noticed until it's too late. Just an observations by viewing threads here with the term "infection".

I was also given antibiotics after day two (for 5 days) and not exactly told why. But I did not get any pimples or anything. At month 3 everything seems on track but I'd be feeling much more confident about my procedure if I really knew why I was given ABs suddenly after day 2. Makes the waiting game much more unnerving and I'm already saving up for HT #2 just in case.

In your case you're lucky it was discovered early and that the surgeon is targeting it.

I would not worry about the ATP spray. A lot of clinics are not using it, so I think it's more of a gimmick to round up the experience.

Edited by ZeoRanger
Typos. Not iPhone friendly.

Hi ZeoRanger,

Thanks for coming back to me, I've done a bit of research and it seems that if caught in time and treated it should have no affect on the final results. But still as you mentioned there will always be a "what if" in the back of my mind while I'm waiting for the hairs to grow in.

I have just come back from the clinic, the doctor was amazed at how good it looks. There are no more pustules. He examined the site under magnification, washed my hair with antibacterial shampoo and applied more antibacterial cream. I'm to go back in the morning for a follow up but it's looking good.

Apparently I am a "bleeder" which slowed down the procedure a lot more, but also means I should be less prone to infection as my blood washes away more bacteria etc. As he took the support bandage off yesterday (post op day 2) he was expecting a lot of swelling around my eyes, especially since I'm a bleeder but was surprised to see zero swelling. I am a quick healer so hopefully everything will turn out ok...

Edited by 88mph
autocorrect

Yes so I had approx 1600 FUE implanted to my hairline. The doctor started harvesting at 10:30am and everything was finished by 9:30pm. There were a number of reasons, firstly as I'm a bleeder it took a lot longer, my hair roots push out at the bottom, kind of like a hook below the skin, which made it more difficult to pull out the grafts and lastly my body metabolised the anisthetic faster than the norm. They had to use 3 times the amount to anaesthetise me, this would usually last 4-5 hours on the average but only 1 hour on me. I guess maybe it's cos I have a high tolerance to alcohol maybe I dont know haha.

So the ATP was used as a holding solution for the grafts and sprayed on me during the operation. I then sprayed in myself on the recipient and donor area for approx 36hrs, I did it on the hour mostly. I even set alarms during the night to do it every hour or two. So I really went for it at the most important time I suppose. I'm still using it now on the donor.

...but many clinics still use saline spray instead to avoid infections.

With HTs there seem to be two world views... Some doctors say everything is DONE after surgery and you can do only damage by pulling them out or hitting your head, while others have a very strict post op regimen that doesn't practically does not allow you doing anything for the next 3-6 months. (No sweating, no sports, no sex, no dusty areas, not applying anything other than prescribed potions) because ANYTHing can harm grafts. I'm exaggerating a bit but you get the picture.

Anyhow that ATP spray is supposed to give grafts nutrients while they are vascularising.