How accurate is my estimation of 2500 grafts (data warning - pics inside)

Hi dudes.

I am having an FUE procedure done in 6 months time. My chosen Doctor has quoted that I will need around 2500 grafts.

Almost all grafts will be going into hairline restoration/frontal thickening, and filling in my receeded temples.

I feel compelled to ask out of interest mainly due to the ranges I have been quoted.

I had several quotes from several doctors, ranging from 1000-1500, up to 2800.

As you can see by the images, I have VERY thick hair, despite losing the front. I struggle to comb it. My donor area is also extremely thick, how will this affect the outcome of the procedure?

I have roughly sketched two example hairlines in the final picture. If that is achievable with the aforementioned amount of grafts I would be so pleased. I guess black would be conservative, and brown the ideal more forward hairline.

I do not want to sacrifice coverage for density, considering my hair is very thick elsewhere.

Any input guys?

DSCF7446.JPG.9d8558934d52321f5a36e705747b4551.JPG

DSCF7447.JPG.7aa0c61bf5c1144bbb7c834abaa49cc5.JPG

DSCF7448.JPG.7947d1e400a455b587768c11fe64d837.JPG

DSCF7449.JPG.88e1339c9668f9d661c69a625e91876d.JPG

DSCF7450.JPG.aeddb4d0795cd63d2e4e39c5482c4445.JPG

DSCF7451.JPG.982ce9346009d49b6f83688c5b9f611c.JPG

DSCF7457.JPG.138f97ccdf9d662a3f6d23d474aaf160.JPG

ideal.jpg.dd3b4cdbc2e6dc79e727ef6b4f660dfc.jpg

Given the thickness of your hair and assuming you obtain a generally conservative hairline for future planning, I would say 2000-2500 is about right. I would say closer to 2000.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

For the black line, yes, about 2500. For the brown line, over 3000, which I would advise against. The black line is not very conservative to begin with and with the age shown on your profile you are about 24 or 25. Don't get caught up in the height of the hairline. Make sure it is a design that will look natural when you are 35, 45 and so on. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's a good idea.

For the black line, yes, about 2500. For the brown line, over 3000, which I would advise against. The black line is not very conservative to begin with and with the age shown on your profile you are about 24 or 25. Don't get caught up in the height of the hairline. Make sure it is a design that will look natural when you are 35, 45 and so on. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Awesome, thanks Joe.

I have always had a high hairline thanks to my mum so I would be perfectly happy with the black line.

When talking with the surgeon on the day, could I perhaps show him a mock up like that before my head is shaved? I know my chosen Doc tends to be quite conservative to begin with.

Of course you can. In fact, I would insist that you send him that mock up now, if you are already in communication with him. The last thing you would want to happen is to travel to the clinic of your choice, show him the image you shared here, and have it refused. What are you supposed to do then?

I think you should proceed very carefully. If you have not actually spoken to the clinic you have chosen about this then it is imperative that you feel them out to see what they recommend for you specifically.

Of course you can. In fact, I would insist that you send him that mock up now, if you are already in communication with him. The last thing you would want to happen is to travel to the clinic of your choice, show him the image you shared here, and have it refused. What are you supposed to do then?

I think you should proceed very carefully. If you have not actually spoken to the clinic you have chosen about this then it is imperative that you feel them out to see what they recommend for you specifically.

Thanks Joe, you've been very helpful.

I have taken your advice and forwarded the image on before I make my deposit.

His rep (who has been very helpful this far) said that the doctor believes with 2500 grafts he could lower the hairline and fill up the temple region.

Hopefully he can cater exactly what I would desire.

I'm glad to help. I also recommend you keep records of everything you are told. You should also download my hair transplant patient toolkit on my website and use this for your benefit. You can do a search on the name in my signature to find my website or just PM me for more info.

Just had to stop in and wish ya luck VWP 'cause your username/handle got a good chuckle out of me! If you do your research, have reasonable expectations, and listen to the gents on this board you should be fine. It looks like you have ideal characteristics for a transplant and are already on meds, so good on you!

I know all about having a high hairline to start with as well; sucks all the more once it starts to go. So keep up the good fight. :D

You could try measuring out the area you want to transplant in sq cm and multiplying by some general hair transplant densities to get an idea what to expect.

Like everyone's different, but a range of 45-60 grafts/cm seems to be pretty typical.

If you were to go hardcore on the drugs and make sure you'd never ever go bald, you could even get some grafts from the top of your head to both lower your hairline to make it easier to comb at the same time (Joke, pls don't)

Just had to stop in and wish ya luck VWP 'cause your username/handle got a good chuckle out of me! If you do your research, have reasonable expectations, and listen to the gents on this board you should be fine. It looks like you have ideal characteristics for a transplant and are already on meds, so good on you!

I know all about having a high hairline to start with as well; sucks all the more once it starts to go. So keep up the good fight. :D

Aha! I am glad, although Saiyans keep the hair they're born with for the rest of their lives, shame we cannot be so lucky!

@Joe

Thanks for the headsup about forwarding my drafts to the surgeon. He replied to me today saying that he believes it is reasonable but warned me that any lower etc could come at the cost of density.

His honest reply satisfied me enough to make me settle on a deposit with them, and I have a "paper trail" in the event of anything being unsatisfactory, so cheers :) For info, the surgeon is Dr De Reys

I'm glad to have been of any help. I hope you got use of the interview form. Pity your surgery is in six months. I'll be in Belgium next month so it would have been nice to try and meet up before or after your surgery. Regardless, I wish you all the best and if you have further questions don't hesitate to ask.

I'm glad to have been of any help. I hope you got use of the interview form. Pity your surgery is in six months. I'll be in Belgium next month so it would have been nice to try and meet up before or after your surgery. Regardless, I wish you all the best and if you have further questions don't hesitate to ask.

It'll be a LONG 6 months, but its the earliest he could fit me in & it is good for me in many ways (financially, holiday from work etc)

The form certainly helped, I had a few questions floating around in my head and its definitely helped me articulate them.