FUE vs FUT

Hi I am new to this forum. I am considering to have a HT. I hope to learn more about FUE vs FUT procedure. I visited Bosley in Seattle WA for a consultation. Going into the consultation I have heard a lot about FUE. I was thinking FUE would leave no scar. The doctor I met with told me otherwise. He said that both FUE and FUT would leave scars. After he examine me, due to the amount of graft that I needed(about 2500-3000 grafts) and the amount of donor hair that I have he recommended I go with FUT procedure. I plan to go and get a second opinion, but in the mean time I was hoping I can find some more informations on both procedures. Thank you ahead for any informations!

IMG_1034.jpg.54ece541686e85a4fbe282879ca4069b.jpg

Hi I am new to this forum. I am considering to have a HT. I hope to learn more about FUE vs FUT procedure. I visited Bosley in Seattle WA for a consultation. Going into the consultation I have heard a lot about FUE. I was thinking FUE would leave no scar. The doctor I met with told me otherwise. He said that both FUE and FUT would leave scars. After he examine me, due to the amount of graft that I needed(about 2500-3000 grafts) and the amount of donor hair that I have he recommended I go with FUT procedure. I plan to go and get a second opinion, but in the mean time I was hoping I can find some more informations on both procedures. Thank you ahead for any informations!

First flag in your post is Bosley. I doubt many here would consider them for a transplant, they act as a assembly line of under skilled surgeons. Second problem is even comparing FUE vs FUT scars, they're so different, plus one isn't even a scar. Do a search here about FUE scarring, it resemblds little dots, hardly noticeable on most, but typically only at the lowest clipper guards. Even if your donor is scarce, 3000 Grafts isnt a lot. Sounds like Bosley prefers FUT because of the labor cost and easier/faster technique.

IMO, transplant technique should be patient choice, barring an issue with donor quality, technique is typically driven by cost.

I'd recommend getting a few other consultations, most docs do online consults which are good. You're right near h&w in Vancouver, check them out, their work is top notch.

Forget Bosley. Overpriced for an average result.

I also don't believe you should be considering FUT. I think you would be better off either a)Do nothing, or b)Smallish FUE.

Looking at your donor area I think you would have a hard time concealing an FUT scar without keeping your hair really quite long, but at the same time you have a lot of thinning and probably will want to keep a short cropped option (Grade 2-4) a possibility in the future.

You aren't that far from Dr Gabel's office and I'd recommend making an appointment.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thank you for the feed back guys. I will definitely seek a few more opinion from other doctors before I make my decision. I went to Bosley first because they were the most commercialize. I hear about them all the time on the radio.

I wouldn't have any surgery at this time. Your profile says you only started rogaine so give it time. You may see a turnaround that is sufficient. However, based on the one photo of your donor zone I think you would be a marginal candidate to begin with. You have a large area to cover and your donor density does not appear to be that good. If you speak to someone and you get the opinion that surgery is ok then ask them for assurances. Btw, 3000 grafts won't give you coverage front to back so if this is what you were told by B then increase that number by about 150% and then you'll have strong coverage. Maybe.

Thank you for the feed back guys. I will definitely seek a few more opinion from other doctors before I make my decision. I went to Bosley first because they were the most commercialize. I hear about them all the time on the radio.

Here is a good start! 619190_zps26df8401.gifHair Transplant Network - Find Hair Transplant Clinics and Doctors

Dr.Gabel 3972 FUT 11/3/14

Progress/Results Below ;)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177388-3972-fut-dr-gabel.html

1978matt would you kindly let me know where Dr. Gabel is located? Thank you!
Portland OR.

Spend some time on this website for more information for what you may need. Joe Tillman just released a helpful website for choosing a procedure. Google "The Hair Transplant Mentor".

Edited by Squatch

Dr.Gabel 3972 FUT 11/3/14

Progress/Results Below ;)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177388-3972-fut-dr-gabel.html

I wouldn't have any surgery at this time. Your profile says you only started rogaine so give it time. You may see a turnaround that is sufficient. However, based on the one photo of your donor zone I think you would be a marginal candidate to begin with. You have a large area to cover and your donor density does not appear to be that good. If you speak to someone and you get the opinion that surgery is ok then ask them for assurances. Btw, 3000 grafts won't give you coverage front to back so if this is what you were told by B then increase that number by about 150% and then you'll have strong coverage. Maybe.

Thank you Joe. I will definitely continue to use rogaine to see if things improve for me. Gathering from all your guys kind advices, it seem like maybe I'm not the ideal candidate to get HT. I have always kept my hair really short almost bold like. Before I seek another consultation, I will leave it grown out. I will post another picture in a few weeks to maybe get some of your guys opinion again. Thank you again so much guys!!!

I happened to notice this on his website:

Dr. Gabel will be in Seattle on April 20, 2015 to see patients for hair restoration consultations. He will be in Boise, Idaho, on April 21, 2015, for hair restoration consultations.

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I happened to notice this on his website:

Dr. Gabel will be in Seattle on April 20, 2015 to see patients for hair restoration consultations. He will be in Boise, Idaho, on April 21, 2015, for hair restoration consultations.

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Thank you so much! I was just on his website. I plan to give him a call tomorrow. Hopefully, he can do a consultation over the phone with me.