I have finally gone for it

samwaxell

All,

Background

First noticed my hair thinning at 24, but decided to grow it out at 30 when I first received my first balding comment. I spent the last 17yrs hiding my hairloss by keeping my hair longer before I decided to do something. SMP or HT were 2 choices. I am a Norwood 6 with average donor area.

HT

I was going to wait until the final results to start a thread, but I figured it would not hurt to at least share my HT experience with folks hopping to help someone out there. I decided on Turkey and Dr Hakan Doganay simply because of the impressive results I saw posted online, and you can't beat the price.

Trip (15hrs)

I traveled to Antalya from the states, I got there on 3/5 a 6:30pm, I was picked up by Dr Hakan's driver a kindly young chap who was holding "AHD" clinic sign and we went straight to the hotel "Blue Garden" located a good 30mins from the airport. A decent hotel located a stone throw away from the beach. The staff were nice as well as the food (breakfast and dinner buffet).

]Meeting Dr Hakan and his staff

I got picked by the driver at 11am on 3/6, met with Muslum, a lovely chap who not only was a former patient of Dr Hakan with plenty of experience but spoke fluent english and I knew right away that nothing will be lost in translation. I got introduced to Dr Hakan who didn't speak much English but seemed like a good guy eager to help. I met other nice folks but unfortunately I can not remember their names.

Strategy/Action plan

I was able to share my expectations, but I also needed to hear their input since they were the experts and knowing that my donor area was average, and in due course, we were able to agree on 4000-4500grafts, a decent hairline (my biggest priority), reasonable density on the front but less and less as they work their way through the mid-scalp and the back areas. Dr Hakan drew my potential hairline which made me very pleased since the placement was more than what I bargained for. By the end I was so eager to start the process

Preparation:

The staff took pictures, shaved my head, and then further pictures were taken. When I saw my unending forehead in the mirror, it reminded me why I took the plunge. Dr Hakan drew the hairline again since it got washed away by accident during the prep phase..

Session#1 3/6

1500 grafts. started at 11:30-Extraction-Lunch-Insertion-4ishpm

Session#2 3/7

2000 grafts started at 9:00-Extraction-Lunch-Insertion-5ishpm

Session#3 3/8

832 beard grafts started at 8:00-Extraction-Lunch-Insertion-12

Trip back:

I left at 9pm the same day (3/8) with a pinkish/red head, swollen forehand and a surgery cap on even though I was given a fishing cap. I didn't care a bit since it was all about my comfort and the safety of my grafts. I have actually gone further and took off the hat during my flights and in airports.

I went back a week after my procedure with no hat on, sporting a buzz cut and a reddish top. I have suddenly developed this thick skin and I am not sure why but it is all good.

6/7

IMG_6789.jpg.325dd8bbb4742cced04e8a2197f86f10.jpg

IMG_6804.jpg.0b6188c620a4ab1c7ea66bfebf204d86.jpg

IMG_6808.jpg.1f52aa182a2ce6085944459b316c1b88.jpg

IMG_6891.jpg.f15cfff6164d970a1b4d23f1576b3425.jpg

IMG_6933.jpg.7ca0f2ae208ae7c0953073d1f97b8f14.jpg

Edited by samwaxell
errors

Congratulations and thanks for sharing a detailed account of your experience with Dr. Doganay! The work looks excellent. I'll bee keeping my eye out for your updates.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Dolph, Yea, it was painful, uncomfortable and grueling. Maybe because I have never undergone a surgery before but well worth it in my view. Funny, I really thought the only pain was to shell out the money and the long trip but I have never considered anything else. In short, nothing beats the pain I would get from the horse shoe look.. so, I would do it again if I have to. Redness is still on but progressively subsiding. If you have pale skin, it will linger a while.

David, Appreciated. I enjoy reading your notes.

Spanker, Thanks mate.. including pre ops.

IMG_6951.jpg.143774c6a0b5b7282f4a398fdc4b8d58.jpg

Pre1.png.0d9a92c6e3451441a5f2ec43d98c665d.png

Edited by samwaxell
removing PDF pic

• 7 months later...
Dolph, Yea, it was painful, uncomfortable and grueling. Maybe because I have never undergone a surgery before but well worth it in my view. Funny, I really thought the only pain was to shell out the money and the long trip but I have never considered anything else. In short, nothing beats the pain I would get from the horse shoe look.. so, I would do it again if I have to. Redness is still on but progressively subsiding. If you have pale skin, it will linger a while.

David, Appreciated. I enjoy reading your notes.

Spanker, Thanks mate.. including pre ops.

Hello samwaxell

Any update how is your hair so far ?

I am not medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice

Things are going well so far considering it has been 8 months since the procedure, but I need to go back and do the crown soon.

It is very nice to hear that all going well. We had better to wait 1 year for fully result after that next is crown....

I am not medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice