Hi all, considering FUE, please help!!

Hi guys. I have been browsing this site for some days and must comment it's a great site with some fantastic stories and results.

To make myself feel more comfortable and happy I'm considering FUE treatment.

My background is this...I am 26 years of age, white male with dark hair from Scotland. My grandfather was bald, my father is bald and my older brother is very thin but not bald.*

I began thinning at 20/21 and am now almost completely bald on top, please see photo's I've attached of me currently.

Anyway, as I say I am considering FUE treatment but having read reviews on here I see that people often go for more than one treatment. I didn't realise this. Due to costs, I can't really afford more than one now and another one in a few years time. Is anyone able to tell me, judging by my background and photo's, whether one treatment is likely to be enough for me?

Also, I've read that people often use minioxidil or propecia after treatment.Due to reviews about side effects such as a decrease in libido or ED I was hoping not to use anything like this. Can you tell me do you HAVE to use it after treatment and what would happen if I didn't?

Finally, I've been in conversation with getFUE clinic in Antalya, Turkey. They say by my photos I have a healthy donor area and require around 3500-4000 grafts at a cost of €2900 plus free PRP. They tell me I can expect natural, excellent long term results. This is the sort of value I can afford. Can anyone tell me if this clinic is good? And are there anyone else in Europe who you'd recommend at similar value?

I apologise in advance if I seem ignorant. I don't mean to be, I'm just new to this and don't know where to start.*

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

IMAG0625_1.jpg.281dfddecebc2de814db354af6ff51cb.jpg

IMAG0626_1.jpg.90314f1e3107b959a1096d504595e5a0.jpg

IMAG0628_1.jpg.0ac5fdd7fac2872ad3c738e39e8548e6.jpg

IMAG0629_1.jpg.023c793b61f9548a9a80778c65d59cfb.jpg

IMAG0630_1.jpg.1e3c5664c1e46abd224196211fbb4fe0.jpg

I would strongly advise you to try finasteride. A lot of guys come on the forums "I don't want to take finasteride because of side effects" but most people have no issue with the drug.

As for doctors, I would look at:

Lorenzo

Bisanga

Maras

Demirsoy

Erdogan

Hey man. Welcome on board!

I agree with KO. Look at the doctors recommended here on this forum for starters, and also don't be turned off from Propecia based solely on the potential for side effects. The percentage of men who report side effects is extremely low, and the vast majority of men take it with no problems at all. You can always start out on a small dosage and then work your way up to see how your body responds to it. It's definitely worth looking into and definitely slows down the rate of your hair loss. You do have quite a bit of hair loss, so you want to be able to keep as much of it as you can for as long as you can, in addition to the potential hair transplant.

Stay active on here and ask questions - there are no stupid ones. Most everyone here is really polite and more than willing to help.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Hey guys, thank you both for your response.

With regards to the finasteride, I'm not doubting it's hugely successful in what it does. I think that's pretty much proven. I also don't doubt that very few people suffer side effects from it and the vast majority are unaffected.

I am just wondering, if I don't take any meds at all, and go ahead with a 4,000 graft FUE procedure at this stage in my life, what are the potential negative effects? My hair loss has stabalised - I don't see too much of a difference between now and one year ago with exception to the crown area.

Would an FUE procedure at this stage in my life without combining it with the recommended meds be ultimately pointless? If not and if you think it could still be a success, what would you recommend I look for, judging by my photo's? I don't expect to look like I did as an 18 year old, my hopes are that I can have just one procedure which would give me a decent hairline and density without any need for a futher procedure. Please tell me if I'm being completely unrealistic. I'd rather be told that than be advised to go ahead with a procedure and end up looking ridiculous in a few years time.

Also, where would I be on the NW scale just now? I was thinking maybe a 6 but it's hard to tell.

Thanks again guys.

• 4 months later...

Hey there Libertinedreamer. I'm just now noticing that this thread got lost in the shuffle for me and I didn't respond to your followup post. (I also see you haven't been on in months, so hopefully you get this notification in your email and can give us a followup... :) ) Out of curiosity, did you end up having a HT? If so, how are the results coming? If not, what factors are playing into your decision to not do it?

As for the finasteride, even if you don't want to take it longterm, I do think it would be in your best interest to take it leading up to (and for the several months following) your hair transplant. It can help cut down on any potential shock loss, so I think it would be worth it to take - even if you don't want to commit to it longterm.

Your hair loss is really advanced for your age, so I do wonder how much more you would even have to lose at this point. You should also probably plan on having another procedure at some point in the future. You're still fairly young, so you want to plan accordingly. You don't want to use your entire donor supply all at once.

Given the state of your hair loss, I would highly recommend researching this forum and choosing a top notch doctor. You want to find someone who can take full advantage of every graft you have and give you a solid longterm plan going forward.

Hoping this finds you well!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Hi guys. I have been browsing this site for some days and must comment it's a great site with some fantastic stories and results.

To make myself feel more comfortable and happy I'm considering FUE treatment.

My background is this...I am 26 years of age, white male with dark hair from Scotland. My grandfather was bald, my father is bald and my older brother is very thin but not bald.*

I began thinning at 20/21 and am now almost completely bald on top, please see photo's I've attached of me currently.

Anyway, as I say I am considering FUE treatment but having read reviews on here I see that people often go for more than one treatment. I didn't realise this. Due to costs, I can't really afford more than one now and another one in a few years time. Is anyone able to tell me, judging by my background and photo's, whether one treatment is likely to be enough for me?

Also, I've read that people often use minioxidil or propecia after treatment.Due to reviews about side effects such as a decrease in libido or ED I was hoping not to use anything like this. Can you tell me do you HAVE to use it after treatment and what would happen if I didn't?

Finally, I've been in conversation with getFUE clinic in Antalya, Turkey. They say by my photos I have a healthy donor area and require around 3500-4000 grafts at a cost of €2900 plus free PRP. They tell me I can expect natural, excellent long term results. This is the sort of value I can afford. Can anyone tell me if this clinic is good? And are there anyone else in Europe who you'd recommend at similar value?

I apologise in advance if I seem ignorant. I don't mean to be, I'm just new to this and don't know where to start.*

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

Hi Libertinedreamer,

I'm Nick and I work for Dr De Reys.

Your hair loss is reasonably advanced for your age although you are not too young to consider FUE.

What you may want to consider is how your hair loss will progress.

A single operation now to restore your hairline and the front half of your scalp will give you a strong, natural look again and your donor area looks excellent.

A strong donor area is not just good for one operation but will also serve you later if you decide to come back for another operation.

For now, a procedure to sort out your hairline may be wise.

I've posted on Dr De Reys' specific philosophy for hairline restoration on this forum which you can find here:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177660-making-hairline-dr-de-reys-2700-grafts-fue.html

As for medication, as long as you feel you are not having side effects then Finasteride is a good choice.

Dr De Reys prefers Finasteride over Minoxidil (Regaine) and he has written a guidance note on the topic which I've posted here:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178086-medication-finasteride-minoxidil-dr-de-reys-1280-grafts-1500-grafts-fue.html

All in all, think carefully about how you proceed.

An FUE will not leave you with a large scar across the back of your head.

Your donor area is strong and will provide more grafts in years to come.

An operation to restore your hairline and front half of the scalp seems to make sense at the moment.

Dr. De Reys is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Dr De Reys | Hair Transplant Surgeon in Belgium.

Check out Dr lorenzo as if I were you with that level of loss I'd be inclined to look into him first closely followed by erdogan!! You have a high level of loss at a very young age but it looks like your donor caracteristics are very favourable!! Be realistic in your goals and I think it could work out well!!

Good luck researching mate!

• 4 weeks later...