Blood test results question...

It is likely that you have high levels of testosterone,(naturally) which converts to DHT. High levels

of dht are responsible for hair loss. the propecia is definitely not the culprit with regards to you high testosterone, propecia would

lower it. Not everyone with high dht goes bald, only the people with the DHT gene will go bald.

Hpe this help, i also have high testosterone levels and as a consequense( i suspect) it led to high dht production(i lost my hair at the age of 25)

take care.

juanc

1000 grafts with dr rosanelli

1000 grafts with Dr. Peterson

1600 (july 17) with Dr. Ochs

Originally posted by Severn:

Is it possible that since finisteride inhibits DHT, that the testosterone levels would be higher because less of it is being converted to DHT?

Correct! Finasteride will normally cause an increase in testosterone by ~10% due to a loss in DHT feedback in the brain. Merck claims that it keeps within the physiological range.

Hormone regulation is very variable from person to person??¦??¦.

Blond.

-----------------------------

PhD (Experimental and Clinical medicine)

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

I also had my DHT tested... I was a 50 with the range for my age being 25 to 75... SO if I am average like this, does that mean DHT is not causing hairloss and it is something else?

Very difficult to determine. What classification of MPB are you?

Thinking about it, DHEA is a precursor for both T & DHT so it makes sense DHEA was very high. As for DHT there could be many reasons as to why it is relatively high. Do yo have any other blood test results? If not it might be worth checking estrogen levels.

Blond.

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

I am a diffuse thinner... Had a HT about a year ago at age 23... I just don't understand if I have the average DHT levels for my age, why I am balding at such a fast rate? Also, could the DHEA have anything to do with it? I was tested for quite a lot and everything else seemed normal..

I remember reading somewhere that DHT levels were not directly related to MPB. So people with a full head of hair may have reasonably high levels of DHT. It is to do with how your body (in terms of follicles) respond to DHT. I think people with MPB are just genetically prone to be follicular sensitive to DHT. I'm more concerned that your DHT is that high if on finasteride. It appears you're not sufficiently inhibiting enzymes. What dose/frequency do you take finasteride?

Blond.

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

This test was only done weeks after I started taking fin... Does the DHEA mean anything?

If you're really bothered it might be worth having another blood test to confirm. Did a physician perform the blood test? High levels of DHEA are associated to certain things but your Dr should be trying/or have ruled them out.

Also, do you exercise excessively or are you on a strict diet?

Blond.

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

I've had two blood tests, first my DHEA was 1400, second it was 1100. The top range for my age is in the 700's... Went to an endroconlogist and he swore I must be taking steriods but I'm not... why would I lie to the guy? I'm going to see another one in a couple of weeks. Just wondering what the DHEA could be associated with... The Adrenal gland? does this have anything to do with hairloss?

Adrenal gland? does this have anything to do with hairloss?

Well yes and no. It's almost impossible to tell unless you undergo more tests. The adrenal gland does produce DHEA and as it is a prohormone to DHT etc it may be linked. Without unnecessarily worrying about what things could mean, I think you should just consult your endocrinologist as planned.

Hope all goes well and please keep us updated.

Blond.

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)