Wearing a Helmet Post HT????

Good day all.

I had my first HT on Feb 12, 2010... I was off of work for 7 full days and had to return today Feb 20.. (8 days post HT). I work on a helicopter and am required to wear a full helmet (much like a motorcycle helmet)... often for extended periods of time.. ie 3 to 4 hours. Again I just want a second opinion.. I mentioned to my doc at my 7 day follow up / suture removal, and he said it is fine to wear the helmet, the hairs are not going anywhere. Of course I am at work today.. first day back and it was busy, which required me to wear the helmet often. I then started worrying if this is going to damage the implants... I wore the heavy helmet for about 4 hours straight.. mostly felt hot and itchy. Has anyone here been in a similar situation and if so did this affect your final HT outcome.. ie decreased growth, or damage to the grafts...

Thanks all... i really didn't think I would be this much of a hypochondriac.. but I can't help it ... I am worried about all the minute details that could potentially damage these 2000 grafts (frontal and crown)

Don't worry about it.

Dr. Mejia along with other medical exponents posted articles stating that after 5-6 days post HT, the grafts are sufficiently fused and secured to the receiving tissue.

take care...

Dr. Mejia along with other medical exponents posted articles stating that after 5-6 days post HT, the grafts are sufficiently fused and secured to the receiving tissue

Hey Mmhce,

Could you link to the articles please? I'd be interested in reading them.

We have our patients refrain from wearing helmets for one week following a transplant procedure. We keep them out of swimming pools and lakes for a week also, and allow for a full return to exercise 4-5 days after surgery.

The reason for the helmet not being a good thing during that first week is the same as for a hairpiece. Because of the tight, form-fitting nature of both, there will necessarily be a "shuffling" or rubbing effect upon the tops of the grafts which could interfere with their becoming permanently lodged into the scalp and being nourished blood supply-wise properly in those early days.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

• 1 year later...

In my note I mentioned my policy of recommending that helmets not be worn for a week after the transplant. I don't have personal experience as a patient going back to wearing a helmet a week later, but regarding my patients who followed this advice, I don't know of any adverse effects on hair growth later on. The other issue is that there is a donor scar present and the pressure of the helmet could be uncomfortable there, depending on where the cushion points inside the helmet are.

Mike Beehner, M..D.

• 2 years later...

Yes they are talking about FUHT (strip) as far as potential scar stretching is concerned.

After reading Dr. Beehner's initial advice, I thought, "what about the strip scar stretching?" Then I read his next post and thankful for his advice...:)

I believe that the issue that Dr. Beehner addressed regarding the grafts in the recipient area being rubbed off by the helmet is true for both FUHT (strip) or FUE.

But I also wanted to add that you can potentially adhere some foam padding inside the helmet and just under the frontal rim to create an open barrier around your scalp and recipient zone so that the hard helmet itself does not rub against your scalp. But you may have to trade in your existing helmet for a size larger so that there is not undue pressure or tension caused by the foam padding.

A guy I know that works for a utility company did this on both of his procedures. He also said you just have to adjust the foam strips to fit it to size. He also drilled some small air holes in it so there was air circulating under the helmet.

Hope it works out and happy growing...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY