Assessing Doctors replies.

Hi there,

I have been reading this forum for over a year now and have recently emailed 6 doctors that are mentioned here for an assessment of my receding hairline. Responses were generally prompt and helpful although interestingly the estimates are not all similar. My email specifically requested estimation of grafts needed to rectify : a) my receding hairline and b) the crown area.

The following are the responses that I have received :

Doctor A - 1200 grafts to lower the hairline and 2300 to do dense packing at the top.

Doctor B - 2000-2500 grafts for the hairline. This doctor recommended that I use hair loss medication for the crown area.

Doctor C - 2500-3000 graft to create hairline. 2000-2500 to add density to the mid scalp. The crown was not mentioned.

Doctor D - 2300-2700 grafts.

Doctor E - 1800-2000 defined hairline. 800-1000 for crown area.

Doctor F - 2200-2500 grafts.

In addition to the following photographs I should also mention that my hair loss occurred in my late 20's which prompted me to research the matter and subsequently discover finasteride. I have been taking finasteride for approximately 7 years with very negligible additional loss . I am currently 37.

I would really appreciate opinions using the provided photographs to answer the following questions :

a) How many grafts seems suitable for me to reconstruct the hairline back to its original form ?

b) How poor is the density in my midscalp and crown region. How many grafts would I require to alleviate the situation ?

c) Does my donor area look capable of providing the grafts required ?

Thanks.

Regards,

PowderedToastMan.

DSC_5788.JPG.042777ad50588e07f8a734f4bfa65833.JPG

DSC_5832.JPG.03610c1fc0f17dc498a7771a0c054b2d.JPG

DSC_5838.JPG.9564958e929e8a5cec9cf1cdd365d2e4.JPG

Front

DSC_5776.JPG.1912687d7e877ad6152a834fa6ac66e2.JPG

DSC_5780.JPG.8c564ac6340e1c9016004690f8db370d.JPG

DSC_5802.JPG.21c59c2c59d31979b6f2924697fbc084.JPG

Rear

DSC_5857.JPG.97c0788b88e125a7c80b84e35a2f951d.JPG

DSC_5860.JPG.ce6df66ab652eb8cc6193ea90a78e686.JPG

DSC_5852.JPG.5abdca9af2d3d55eba5e4eb7da7133bf.JPG

DSC_5859.JPG.9f670ce41c5d5b1dd851c531304bb11c.JPG

DSC_5790.JPG.1e0b1e53ccf68f1d3dea3192314b84a9.JPG

DSC_5833.JPG.c00dfc44b82f525819eb0516ce3da1d0.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

No replies?

I assume you are after FUE? I wouldn't recommend FUT in your case as it looks like it would be quite hard to hide the scar since you appear to have fine hair and possibly average/below average density.

What concerns me is where exactly is your permanent donor area. Is anyone in your family a Norwood 7 by any chance?

I think whatever you do you should be looking to maintain the buzzed look and with that in mind I'd suggest 1500-2000FUE grafts for a more even looking hairline. As for the crown, I just don't think it is worth it and it would be a waste of grafts that would be better being saved for later use in the front and middle of your head.

Anyway, hopefully some others will chip in with opinions.

Hi there,

I have been reading this forum for over a year now and have recently emailed 6 doctors that are mentioned here for an assessment of my receding hairline. Responses were generally prompt and helpful although interestingly the estimates are not all similar. My email specifically requested estimation of grafts needed to rectify : a) my receding hairline and b) the crown area.

The following are the responses that I have received :

Doctor A - 1200 grafts to lower the hairline and 2300 to do dense packing at the top.

Doctor B - 2000-2500 grafts for the hairline. This doctor recommended that I use hair loss medication for the crown area.

Doctor C - 2500-3000 graft to create hairline. 2000-2500 to add density to the mid scalp. The crown was not mentioned.

Doctor D - 2300-2700 grafts.

Doctor E - 1800-2000 defined hairline. 800-1000 for crown area.

Doctor F - 2200-2500 grafts.

In addition to the following photographs I should also mention that my hair loss occurred in my late 20's which prompted me to research the matter and subsequently discover finasteride. I have been taking finasteride for approximately 7 years with very negligible additional loss . I am currently 37.

I would really appreciate opinions using the provided photographs to answer the following questions :

a) How many grafts seems suitable for me to reconstruct the hairline back to its original form ?

b) How poor is the density in my midscalp and crown region. How many grafts would I require to alleviate the situation ?

Thanks.

Regards,

PowderedToastMan.

[ATTACH]73178[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73179[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73181[/ATTACH]

Front

[ATTACH]73174[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73175[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73177[/ATTACH]

Rear

[ATTACH]73171[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73173[/ATTACH]

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 2 weeks later...
No replies?

I assume you are after FUE? I wouldn't recommend FUT in your case as it looks like it would be quite hard to hide the scar since you appear to have fine hair and possibly average/below average density.

What concerns me is where exactly is your permanent donor area. Is anyone in your family a Norwood 7 by any chance?

I think whatever you do you should be looking to maintain the buzzed look and with that in mind I'd suggest 1500-2000FUE grafts for a more even looking hairline. As for the crown, I just don't think it is worth it and it would be a waste of grafts that would be better being saved for later use in the front and middle of your head.

Anyway, hopefully some others will chip in with opinions.

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the delay in replying as I thought my thread might have been lost into the ether after a few days without reply.

Anyway, from what I can tell many of the older men in my family have receding hairlines of varying degrees but nothing as pronounced as Norwood 7.

I think keeping the focus on the hairline only as opposed to the crown is also what I believe to be the best course of action. The daily dose of propecia is doing a commendable job of keeping that particular area "furnished" after many years, so I am not really too concerned about the crown.

As for the FUE / FUT debate, I usually have much longer hair than the pictures indicate and am open to FUT as any scar would be amply camouflaged. I only had the buzz cut to give the doctors I sent emails to a clearer visual of the offending areas.

I have read the following thread but am wondering what a worse case scenario would look like in regards to the strip scar.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/152569-suture-simple-double-trichophytic-closure-one-best-2.html

Are there any popular resources that document bad examples of strip scars ? Or do most people (pro FUE) consider any scar a bad result irrespective of whichever method was used for closure?

I am certainly leaning toward FUE in general but the most important thing for me is to find a doctor who can replicate a natural hairline. If it was a decision between FUE and better artistry I would choose artistry any day.

Thanks again,

PTM.

## Please note ##

Powdered toast man = Scoobs.

Sorry for the confusion !!

I have had problems logging in previously with this my original account and had created the "Powderedtoastman" account as a remedy.

I will endeavour to keep posting under the "Scoobs" account from now on.

Cheers.

We don't know what your original form was so no one can accurate answer this without pre-loss images. However, you can't afford to take your hairline back to where it once was (assuming a juvenile hairline) because you have a lot of loss to address and without medication you are going to have a lot more loss.

It's not too bad. The short length isn't helping matters as it shows more lack of density at such a length. However, I would think that no less than 3500 grafts would be needed for the top, hairline to vertex, not including crown.

I think your donor area shows relatively low density but it may have something to do with the lighting/flash used in the pics. Oddly, the density at the occipital ridge and into the nape appears to be higher. If I were you I would not consider any surgery without medication. You simply have too much more to lose and not enough hair to address the future loss, especially in the crown.