Soft Hairline; Nape hair?

harryforreal

Jay Walker has had a successful transplant, and his hair looks very good. He had a strong forelock to begin with, which I believe was a plus.

One of the challenges of creating a "natural" looking hairline seems to me to be that transplanted hairs are thicker and darker than native hairs. In this image below one can see the demarcation between native hairs on the side and transplanted hairs in the temple.

What are peoples' thoughts on how to create a softer, "lighter"/blonder hairline? Or is this the best possible?

It's a good outcome, don't get me wrong. Just wondering how to get it to look 100% native...

Sorry..CLICK THE HAIR RESTORATION LINK BELOW TO SEE JAY WALKER'S HAIR TRANSPLANT AND WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT:

Hair Restoration Social Network ? Community for and by Hair Loss Patients

Contrary to what some doctors will tell you nape hair is not ideal because it too can be susceptible to DHT. In cases where you are working with dark hair on pale skin it is going to be next to impossible to get absolute 100% perfection. The best one can do is make sure that only finely trimmed singles are used for the frontal hairline, proper angles are established and a natural density is achieved. Patients can influence the final result with subtle hair dyes to better mimic the lighter color of fringe hairs.

Cant nape hair be used to fill lacking densities in hairlines and fix temporal work? Especially if used for correcting repairing previous hairline/temporal FUE work? Can't nape hair be used to help blend hairlines since it is thinner than scalp hair? I have a family member that is bald and in their 60s, they still have an ample supply of nape hair, at what point will dht attack it and they will lose it?

I have a family member that is bald and in their 60s, they still have an ample supply of nape hair, at what point will dht attack it and they will lose it?

This is what I wonder. I mean, my recession and thinning was at the front of my head. The back of my head seems very full. I am now 45.

Cant nape hair be used to fill lacking densities in hairlines and fix temporal work? Especially if used for correcting repairing previous hairline/temporal FUE work? Can't nape hair be used to help blend hairlines since it is thinner than scalp hair? I have a family member that is bald and in their 60s, they still have an ample supply of nape hair, at what point will dht attack it and they will lose it?

Hi Sean,

If the nape hair is DHT resistant, then sure. Nape hair is not new and is not even exclusive to FUE. I've seen cases over the years that were performed by strip clinics, mainly chain clinics such as Bosley, where the strip was taken from what appeared to be a strong and bountiful nape supply to build a "soft and natural" hairline due to the smaller diameter hair shaft inherent with nape hair. It makes sense (strip scar in nape aside). As time progressed and the nape hair thinned the donor scar became visible and the hairline that was created from the nape hair eventually disintegrated. Asking when DHT will thin nape hair is like asking when you'll lose a hairline or a crown. I know many men that are quite bald but have very strong napes and I know many men with strong heads of hair with thinned napes. It's unpredictable and I have not noticed any sort of pattern to help with predicting this type of loss.

Besides, for thickening of a thinning area nape hair will not be very effective when compared to beard hair and body hair may be more reliable in the long run. If however you don't have good beard hair or body hair then nape hair may be your only option but just don't lose sight of the fact that it may not last AND if the hair in the nape eventually goes you may have white dotting to contend with. Just food for thought.