Scar excision in 14 year old Black female from traction alopecia by Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

This young lady was brought by her parents back in the spring with a history of a 50cent sized hypertrophic scar, without hair, at her posterior hairline. They stated this occurred after repeated pulling off overly tight hairbraids. We discussed various options including doing nothing but wearing the hair down to cover this area. I asked them to think about this for several months, as she is in a high risk group for scar problems since: she already has a bad scar formed, she is black with a history of bad scarring, and she is just at the age when her female hormones will really start fluctuating--another factor attributed to poor scarring.

We had several phone calls and in person meetings and agreed on excising as much of the scar as possible, then sequential exams monthly and possible steroid injections. No guarantees were made and we probably will need a second procedure next year to remove any remaining scar.

Shown are preop, intraop and day 7 pictures. We got about 80% of the scar and the entire load is on deep sutures; so hopefully she'll have minimal scar hypertrophy. I'll try to put up pics from her monthly exams if possible.

We chose not to FUE into this scar primarily due to the really thick tough scar itself. I felt that it would have little blood supply and indeed on excision the scar didn't ooze at all.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

794104205_8D3D4CF66410B5D6094FC8F690AE24D0.jpg

894104205_E27A2462E768D37E8333BA682F534A57.jpg

994104205_7733FD85E4EB0B85E2ED2E67B65110CF.jpg

105104205_F8F6FF7F25F5FD570D3F17990D079A08.jpg

694104205_7C3BBD50D0DA2BC265A71712C11B2B96.jpg

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Nice result Dr Lindsey.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Scar tissue has more fibrous connective tissue than normal soft tissue. In cases where the scar becomes hypertrophic or even a keloid, there is significantly more scar tissue and I've had many cases where the scar itself wouldn't even bleed when transected. When its that tough and avascular, I have a hard time thinking that a graft will take. But grafts will grow in many scars, it just takes some clinical guesswork and experience to avoid the really tough scars for implantation.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians