Scar revision

So it turns out my doctor went a little lower with my donor scar than he should have and it is quite large. (9mm)

Should I go ahead and have someone revise this, or just live with it? I plan on having another HT, but Dr. Rose said that it would not be wise to go into that scar again because they have such a high chance of stretching like mine did.

So it turns out my doctor went a little lower with my donor scar than he should have and it is quite large. (9mm)

Should I go ahead and have someone revise this, or just live with it? I plan on having another HT, but Dr. Rose said that it would not be wise to go into that scar again because they have such a high chance of stretching like mine did.

My understading is that below the occipital (sp?) ridge there is more risk of scarring due to lower collagen so many doctors would not want to go into that area. However, since one has already gone there it is possible that a scar excision could help but I'm not sure that any outcome would be at all certain.

Anyway, I am not an expert, hopefully you'll get some docs to comment on your situation, quite a few do chip in on the forum.

Is it 9mm the whole way or just at the worst point? How long a section of the scar are you concerned about? e.g. 6cm, 10cm etc

What is your age, level of loss, would you plan future transplant procedures? Depending on the answers to these questions FUE or a separate higher strip transplanting into the scar could be an option although it might take a lot of grafts.

BigBil1234-

At that lower level the chances of scar reformation, especially at your age (younger patients can scar more due to their higher collagen levels) are much greater, that along with the general observation that scarring occurs with greater frequency in the area you describe.

Rather than attempt to revise, I would recommend a small FUE case to place grafts into the scar, which should give a good result- I would also recommend waiting for at least ten months following your initial surgery so that scar can fully mature and settle down. Overall though, in the long run be optimistic- it's fixable.

Hope this helps-

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

This is very unfortunate for me! It's sad I did not find this forum prior to my hair transplant and I told Dr. Rose that. I'm pretty upset because I don't want to waste donor hair filling in a scar in my donor hair area!! The doctor did a decent job on my head but thank goodness I only had 1600 grafts. I am kind of at a crossroad as to what to do:-(

Sorry to hear about your scar, I truly hope your issue gets resolved, do you have a picture? I am not familiar with (sp) a picture would better illustrate your scar to me, anyway wish you the best.

Yeah I'm sorry to hear about that too Bill..If you don't mind me asking, was the reason your scar got so big strictly due to the doc goin too low in the donor area? or was there any other contributing factors? I wish you all the best man.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

I don't have a picture as it is pretty difficult to take one of the back of my head. I was told that the scar was so wide because of how it was cut below the ocitipal ridge where a lot of tension is. You can't see the scar when my hair is longer, but I can't use below a 5 one it. You can see it when it is wet though.

Bigbill1234

Why don't you ask someone to take a picture of your scar and post it on the forum for others to examine it. You may never know, there might be some way to get it fixed...Just my two cents

Javy

Done done.. Check out my blog..

2785 grafts by Dr. Humayun Mohammad

My Hair Loss WebLog

BigBill-

The number of grafts that it takes depends on the total area the scar occupies. Because scar tissue can be a bit less vascularized (less blood supply), you wouldn't want to pack em in there at 40-45 FU/cm2; 25-30FU/cm would be about right- so typically no more than 300 grafts at the most.

As Javy says, a pic would be nice.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Bill, did you have this HT recently? If now a days it's a general consensus on not going below the occipital ridge thats weird the doc would have done that. Have you talked to him about it?

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Dude I'm sorry to hear about how this worked out for you but I was surprised when you said you could still get down to a #5. Plenty of guys with a scar above the ridge can't go any lower than this, and in some cases even at this level the scar still shows.

Any HT decision is a big one in your life and so I would definitely not rush into any alterations at this stage. At the moment you just have to let the scar heal.