Cutting hair after fue...

Hey I am 18 days post op everything seems to be going to plan all the scabs are off and hair is growing like a buzz cut. I was wondering when is safe to shave my whole head to blend it in better. I didn't shave my hair in the recipient area for the operation but am thinking now it would look better. Also is there anything I could use that's safe to help reduce the redness in the recipient area.

Thanks in advance

Perth,

Double check with your clinic. However, you should be fine to "buzz" your hair on day 18.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I opted for the buzz cut after surgery myself and did the full buzz to even everything out about 1 week after the surgery. After day 5, the grafts are firmly in place, so I forced myself not to worry about losing them, but I was still quite careful when cutting it. I still used a decent sized guard on the clippers so I didn't even risk the razor getting too close to my scalp, and I just kept going over everything really gently until it all looked more even. I think at day 18, you should be fine as long as your scalp isn't particularly sore or tender.

As for the redness, definitely make sure you keep sunscreen on your scalp and that you apply it frequently enough based on the SPF you use. I chose to go the hat route for the first month while the redness was still really noticeable, as I didn't have much luck with concealers (and I didn't want to bombard my healing scalp with too much "gunk"). After the first month, I started going without a hat, as it didn't look as alarming or drastic as it did at first and started to appear to more more like a slight sunburn.

Also.... I noticed that hot showers seemed to increase the redness of the donor area for me that would last at least several hours after my shower. So try to keep the water closer to a room temperature when washing your hair and see if that helps keep the redness down.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress! :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks for the replies that's good to hear about being able to shave it down, it gives me another option I am due back to work in a week so want to be able hide it best I can. I was thinking of shaving it down and saying it was just bad sunburn. Could you put aloe vera or something like that on the redness would it be safe?

Thanks again for all your advice.

Just realizing you'll be starting work back today. How's the redness? Did you end up using aloe vera or anything on your scalp? Would be interested to see if you had any success with anything of that nature. I'm not aware of that being a common treatment, but it does seem like something that could possibly work.

Edited by pkipling
spelling

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks for this informative post. I am looking at FUE in May 2015 and will probably have the work done on a Thursday and go back to work on the Monday 12 days after.

I wear my hair at buzz cut (no guard) at the moment, so I am not concerned about redness, that's other people's problem, not mine. Mostly it's the ability to keep hair at level 1 at most.

I'm very happy to hear you can trim it down after a few days. I will wait for the very day I go back to work do to that, so hopefully the scabs will be gone too.

:)

Hey, ye started back work was good they noticed it was slightly red, but as I live in Australia was able play it off as sun burn. I used the aloe vera gel a few times didn't see much improvement and it made it more red straight after applying so I stopped. I will try post some one month post op pics tomorrow if I get time, on my HT thread.