Would you ask HT surgeon to transplant less FUs than recommended?

My HT surgeon is recommending me to have 1500 FUs transplanted (I have something between Norwood 2 and 2A). However, since that clinic is new and the only one in my area, I am a little scared and considering to ask only for 850 grafts to be transplanted. And then, if surgery will be successful, I will go for the second surgery after a year.

Has anyone done anything like this? What did your doctor sacrifice - density or hairline length? Any other complications after such a choice? Why you would or wouldn't ask your doctor to do this?

There is nothing wrong with taking a more cautious, conservative approach. Just be aware that the placement may need to be a bit higher and the density will be lower so don't expect miracles. In addition, I would seriously consider the fact that the doctor is new and you should realize that you are, in essence, a guinea pig. Every doctor has to start out new at some point and there is nothing wrong with that but you have to ask yourself if you want to put yourself in that position.

If you haven't already, ask the following questions...

1. Who trained him?

2. What method is he using?

3. If strip is it single blade or mult-blade?

4. If FUE is it robotic, manual or motorized punch?

5. What size punch if FUE?

6. Who will be doing placement of grafts?

7. Who will be doing extraction of grafts?

This only scratches the surface, and you may have asked these questions, but it should be mentioned just the same.

Why don't you wait a bit and go to a clinic you have more confidence in?

I guess your answer is offtopic,..

Since this is the only clinic in my country, I don't think it would be better idea to go abroad and find another clinic (You have to take into account language barrier with doctor, distance, different jurisdiction, travel expenses e.t.c.)

Also, hair transplant surgery can fail with a good doctor. My original question was whether it is good idea to split whole surgery in two different surgeries 1 year apart. One reason why I though it might be bad idea is if doctor would put hairs in a such pattern so that second surgery would become complicated (e.g. different density)

Why don't you wait a bit and go to a clinic you have more confidence in?

I guess your answer is offtopic,..

Since this is the only clinic in my country, I don't think it would be better idea to go abroad and find another clinic (You have to take into account language barrier with doctor, distance, different jurisdiction, travel expenses e.t.c.)

Also, hair transplant surgery can fail with a good doctor. My original question was whether it is good idea to split whole surgery in two different surgeries 1 year apart. One reason why I though it might be bad idea is if doctor would put hairs in a such pattern so that second surgery would become complicated (e.g. different density)

There is nothing wrong with taking a more cautious, conservative approach. Just be aware that the placement may need to be a bit higher and the density will be lower so don't expect miracles. In addition, I would seriously consider the fact that the doctor is new and you should realize that you are, in essence, a guinea pig. Every doctor has to start out new at some point and there is nothing wrong with that but you have to ask yourself if you want to put yourself in that position.

If you haven't already, ask the following questions...

1. Who trained him?

2. What method is he using?

3. If strip is it single blade or mult-blade?

4. If FUE is it robotic, manual or motorized punch?

5. What size punch if FUE?

6. Who will be doing placement of grafts?

7. Who will be doing extraction of grafts?

This only scratches the surface, and you may have asked these questions, but it should be mentioned just the same.

Thanks, all those questions that should be asked to doctor make sense.

I was also thinking if doctor would have to put hairs in a such pattern so that after first surgery they would look thin or anything like that? I know I could ask the same question to my doctor, but it would be interested to hear what other people think about this...

His answer was on topic because you mentioned that the doctor is new and that you are scared of the possible outcome. KO is a smart and experienced forum member and his question is valid. I see on your profile that you are in California but you mentioned there is this only clinic in your country. There are a few very good doctors in California so maybe you are sticking to your native country for cost concerns?

I was also thinking if doctor would have to put hairs in a such pattern so that after first surgery they would look thin or anything like that?

This is why I mentioned that the hairline placement would need to be higher to counteract the lower density of using less grafts. The larger the area of placement, the lower the overall density assuming you are working with a set number of grafts. I hope this helps.

My advice: go with experience. If you get a poor hair transplant, even a small amount, then you are in repair mode for the rest of your life. Look at all those "small Bosley patient" cases. Grafts put in wrong areas pointing all over the place. It is not uncommon to travel to get a good result.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Quote from Charles R. Swindol

March 14, 2013. 2462 grafts to the crown

Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel in Portland, Oregon

Dr. Gabel's Website

My advice: go with experience. If you get a poor hair transplant, even a small amount, then you are in repair mode for the rest of your life. Look at all those "small Bosley patient" cases. Grafts put in wrong areas pointing all over the place. It is not uncommon to travel to get a good result.

Sorry, but what exactly is "small Bosley case"? Are you referring to Hair Transplant Surgery, Hair Loss Treatment - Bosley clinic examples?

His answer was on topic because you mentioned that the doctor is new and that you are scared of the possible outcome. KO is a smart and experienced forum member and his question is valid. I see on your profile that you are in California but you mentioned there is this only clinic in your country. There are a few very good doctors in California so maybe you are sticking to your native country for cost concerns?

This is why I mentioned that the hairline placement would need to be higher to counteract the lower density of using less grafts. The larger the area of placement, the lower the overall density assuming you are working with a set number of grafts. I hope this helps.

Thanks, Joe, I like that you focus on answering the original question instead of trying to steer answer into "choose a qualified doctor that can deliver quality results" direction without giving more details. Of course, I completely agree with that obvious statement that doctor experience matters. However it does not make sense to talk about quality job if one can't define it.

Ok, I guess what you are saying is that lowering hairline twice with two surgeries 1 year apart most likely should not have any cosmetic issues.

I just imagined this hypothetical scenario where I speculated that maybe border of the new hairline would have to be made thicker in each surgery so I might have ended up with something that looks strange.