Illicit Drug Use Effect on Hairloss

qvarnis

Hi Everyone,

Now this is an interesting one, I was looking back through my teenage years photo's (27 now) and had an thought.

You see, many of my friends from those time were quite heavy pot smokers, when I say heavy, I mean 2 or 3 joints a day. Bizzarre thing is out five of them that I have seen recently 3 are NW 5 or 6 and another is well on the way.

My question is whether pot has a negative effect and perhaps promotes loss? Maybe its just a coincidence, anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?

On that, I wonder if any other recreational substances have negative effects?

BTW, I mean no offence by this thread I think it could be interesting and may apply to some!

Cheers

qvarnis

Hi Everyone,

Now this is an interesting one, I was looking back through my teenage years photo's (27 now) and had an thought.

You see, many of my friends from those time were quite heavy pot smokers, when I say heavy, I mean 2 or 3 joints a day. Bizzarre thing is out five of them that I have seen recently 3 are NW 5 or 6 and another is well on the way.

My question is whether pot has a negative effect and perhaps promotes loss? Maybe its just a coincidence, anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?

On that, I wonder if any other recreational substances have negative effects?

BTW, I mean no offence by this thread I think it could be interesting and may apply to some!

Cheers

qvarnis

Qvarnis,

My guess would be that your buds simply have MPB and I bet if you could research it further it would show up somewhere in their genetic history.

I occaisionally watch the Tonight Show on NBC and both Jay Leno and the bandleader Kevin are supposedly big-time potheads. They joke each other about this and there are other rumors about Leno's heavy pot-smoking. Whether it's true or not, who knows. But take a closer look at Leno's hair. He has a thick youthful hairline and density that won't quit! Kevin? Class 7 all the way. See what I mean?

Any chemical based drug will deposit residuals in our bodies which all vary in how long they linger in our blood, tissue and organs. All medications have side-effects including homeo-pathic meds. They have varying interactions within our bodies as well.

I am not directing this to you but let me generally state that anyone who would consume a recreational or black-market drug should be more concerned about loss of their life than loss of their hair. icon_eek.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

All of the above and don't overlook the fact that most recreational drug-users are more likely to use harder substaces which can have more detrimental effects than pot alone would have. Now, I am not saying that this is the case with your buds (haha, had to stick that in there) but it may be.

Four high-school friends of mine all live in a house about 2 blocks from me. All of them are heavy pot-smokers. All of them have been this way for 10+ years. One is a NW 2 or so, one is a NW 3 or so and the other two have thicker hair than should be legal.

Another point: two have graduated college and are working on their graduate degrees. One of the others delivers pizza. The other one does landscaping.

The two that have full heads of hair are the ones that have graduated college. The two that are thinning are the ones that have more menial positions in life (I hope that they get they're act together eventually and I do not mean to offend any landscapers or pizza delivery personnel).

Coincidence? Definitely. Interesting hypothesis, however? You know it.

Theories like that are constantly brought up. Marijuana smoke is filled with hundreds of chemicals and toxins that are not fully understood even today and that is only the "pure" stuff that is grown in labratories. Some drug dealers actually lace drugs with other chemicals to make their weed more potent. Scary stuff, indeed.

Again, interesting hypothesis; however, a huge amount of research would need to be conducted to form a viable theory on whether it affects MPB rates or not.

The one safe option: lay off the herb. icon_smile.gif

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog