How long does it take on average for the pain in the donor area to go away?

I just had my strip procedure yesterday, so I know that it hasn't had enough time to full heal. The doctor mentioned to me that for most people the pain goes away after a day or two? I'm taking the Norcos he prescribed for the pain. I was hoping anyone on here could let me know how many days it took for the back of their head to stop hurting?

No way after a day or two. The pain reduces noticeably everyday, after the sutures are removed.

That is good to know. The pain was pretty bad all day today, but that is only because this was the first day after the procedure. I actually opted for the dissolving sutures though. Would the pain not last as long with the dissolving sutures? I assume so, and I will just be patient and take the pain each day at a time.

I also noticed that my forehead has a bit of swelling even though I'm taking Prednisone and using ice packs? Does the swelling go away after like a week or so?

MIne was bad the first three weeks or so. Then it went numb. Now, it has been four months and all of the numbness has gone away. It gets better. Don't worry.

Wow...3 + weeks of donor area pain? That is a long time. Well how long was the pain really bad? Was the pain really bad to the point that you needed to take Vicoden or Tylenol all 3+ weeks? I just hope over time the level of pain went down gradually for you and will for me as well.

I also have been eating a healthy diet and taking in a lot of foods high in vitamin C and protein to help the scalp of the donor area heal faster. Of course, not leaving about carbs, and other important vitamins and minerals. Anyone else, notice a healthy diet help them seem to heal faster? I know it will definitely help with growing strong new hairs to come.

I also have been eating a healthy diet and taking in a lot of foods high in vitamin C and protein to help the scalp of the donor area heal faster. Of course, not leaving about carbs, and other important vitamins and minerals. Anyone else, notice a healthy diet help them seem to heal faster? I know it will definitely help with growing strong new hairs to come.

A healthy diet is always a good thing but does it help one heal faster? I doubt it very much. Remember when Michael Schumacher broke his leg? The guy was as close to a machine as any human could be - training, diet, attention to detail, the lot. Everyone expected him to heal faster than mere mortals . . . didn't happen. Just a normal guy after all.

Not suggesting you should eat whatever you like but there are posters here who grew just fine with out getting all "Nutrition Nazi" with their diets.

Hell, some even smoked

A healthy diet is always a good thing but does it help one heal faster? I doubt it very much. Remember when Michael Schumacher broke his leg? The guy was as close to a machine as any human could be - training, diet, attention to detail, the lot. Everyone expected him to heal faster than mere mortals . . . didn't happen. Just a normal guy after all.

Not suggesting you should eat whatever you like but there are posters here who grew just fine with out getting all "Nutrition Nazi" with their diets.

Hell, some even smoked

Yes that is a good example haha! I will continue to eat healthy as I always do, but I won't daydream so much about how it will magically speed up the process. I just woke up about 20 min ago and I'm already a lot less pain in the donor area.

After three weeks the pain was still bad so I visited my doctor. He assured me it would lessen, which it did. Unfortunately I ran out of pain killers. :) Now, no pain. The scar in the back is slowly going away as well. That is, in the beginning, I felt the ridge of the sutures. Now, it is only slightly noticeable.

Ok, so what about itching? The pain is way less intense and itchiness is my new enemy. I read that alcohol-free aloe vera gel is good for relieving an itchy scalp? I absolutely don't even want to touch my scalp, let alone scratch it. Can anyone help me with this?