Can all grafts be split into 1's?

Is it possible to split all grafts into 1's or 2's so that there are no 3 or 4's transplanted? I ask because I think multiple hairs give too much of a pluggy look and I think singles look very natural. But I understand it may be a matter of what is harvested and maybe it can not be split. Any insight is appreciate.

This question specifically pertains to FUTs where you cannot selectively pick individual hairs like in FUE.

Patriot,

Yes, it can be done. It is usually done when more single follicular units grafts are needed for the hairline. Physicians will then take larger follicular unit grafts (FUGs) and slice them into multiple single hair grafts. However, it is usually not done. Some believe it causes a higher transection rate. Also, the multihair FUGs are very useful in other areas of the scalp.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Patriot,

Yes, it can be done. It is usually done when more single follicular units grafts are needed for the hairline. Physicians will then take larger follicular unit grafts (FUGs) and slice them into multiple single hair grafts. However, it is usually not done. Some believe it causes a higher transection rate. Also, the multihair FUGs are very useful in other areas of the scalp.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Oversplitting grafts does cause damage, therefore affects results. It is best to leave grafts in their natural state and transplant as such in order to get a higher rate of them taking. One thing is for a doctor to split several grafts if they didn't harvest enough singles needed...another thing is a doctor selling 2000 grafts....but harvesting 1500 and oversplitting the rest to reach 2000....this is called ripping patients off...and unfortunately it happens too often in the industry. This is when you read posts in this blog of patients saying "I had 2000 grafts transplanted but it seems only 700 grew."