Need help FUE/ FUT 4000 grafts

I have significant hair loss at the back (class V) and thinning in the front. Initial consultation online with forum recommended HT surgeons indicates - I will need aprox 4000 grafts.

I feel like 4000 grafts may be a bit too much to proceed with an FUE procedure. And while some really good surgeons are willing to perform FUE - they are doing do because FUE is their specialty and they are a bit biased towards FUT.

However given the advances in FUT procedures that minimize scarring - might FUT be a better option for my case?

can someone guide me. would much appreciate it. thanks so much.

From your photo you look like a Norwood 5, maybe even a 6 or heading that way.

-You can consider either having one large surgery via FUE with a top surgeon over two days for 4k grafts, or have one session of say 3k then come back for another FUE session of 2k a year later if you have the grafts available.

-Or go down the FUT path first, then do FUE when you've exhausted the strip over 1-2 operations. You need a lot of grafts, 4k isn't a lot for that area.

I've always thought for advanced Norwood levels such as yourself, it's worth getting all you can from FUT FIRST then doing a FUE later in life if needed. Personally that's my plan, as people like us need a lot of grafts to cover the large area & we have to use our resources over a number of years to obtain nice results. Just an opinion.

thank you Dutch. I was leaning towards that.. but bit scared by the FUT post op issues. I have read many many articles - the only Q I cant find an answer to is:

- will FUT result in scalp tightening and how long does it last. (forever?)

It also depends on how you want to style your hair. I personally had a FUT procedure done and the resulting scar was not that noticeable. I can shave my hair down to a 1/2 inch without anyone noticing. However, if you expect to maintain your hair any shorter, then it is probable that it will be detectable (even from a world class surgeon) and FUE would probably be the better option. Healing of your donor area partially depends on the skill of the surgeon and partially on your individual physiology. Don't get me wrong, you could always have SMP or a small FUE procedure to fill in the scar, but considering that you are already anticipating a 4,000 graft procedure, you probably don't want to allocate any potential future grafts for scar repair.

Like Dutch mentioned, you might want to separate your procedure into multiple sessions. I would also recommend this for another practical purpose...just in case your first HT does not work for whatever reason. I am by no means trying to scare you away from undertaking a HT because many people have experienced very positive results, but if your first HT does not work, you can always step back and evaluate your options (like I am currently in the process of doing). Conversely, if you have a positive experience with a surgeon, then you can get another HT done with a large degree of confidence that future procedures will yield maximum results. Most importantly, just make sure you do your research (at least a year's worth) and the surgeon clearly understands your expectations.

thanks seeker. I have consulted with 2 FUE docs who both recommended to do this in 2 phases. (so you are spot on). Somehow I feel the rush to get this done in one cycle.. but after your inputs I think I will follow the docs advise and do it over a 6 month period.